[net.cooks] Indian Cookery: Keema

welch@osu-eddie.UUCP (Arun Welch) (02/08/85)

Well, in response to a request for some indian recipes, here's my humble
contribution.

 Keema is a ground beef preperation. It is pretty easy to make, and tastes
pretty good. I have modified my recipe for american usage, but the problem
is that I don't have much idea on the quantities I use, I just kind
of throw the stuff in. However, here's an approximation.

	KEEMA

2 lbs ground beef
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 cup peas ( I usually use frozen or fresh )
1 onion chopped
Some cumin, red pepper, turmeric, salt, black pepper.

Brown the ground beef and the onion. Drain away the grease, and
then cut up the stewed tomatoes and throw them in. Now add everything
else, spicing it to taste, and let it simmer until the peas are done.
You might need to add water if it starts to get too dry.
Serve with rice or chapattis.

Variations:
1) chopped bell peppers
2) some ground sausage (not links)

Well, now that I'm here, I might as well throw in another one.

	RAITHA

1 container yogurt ( I generally get the medium size, I think its 6 oz)
   ( I also prefer either homemade or DANNON)
1 cucumber diced
1 small onion chopped fine
2 tomatoes diced

Mix them all together, salt to taste, and sprinkle with cumin.

By the way, has anyone out there ever used a puri press? They are really
neat, and make it much easier to make puris.

--

       Arun Welch
       Ohio State University

partha@gitpyr.UUCP (Partha Dasgupta) (02/11/85)

> 1 cup peas ( I usually use frozen or fresh )
>
>        Arun Welch
>        Ohio State University
>        ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!welch

What other kind are there?

--
Partha Dasgupta
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!partha

sohail@terak.UUCP (Sohail M. Hussain) (02/11/85)

Since people are posting recipes, i thought i would tell people
about a great indian cook book that i have just seen, It is by
a lady, who has written the cook book for her grandchildren as
a guide to cooking nice indian food, once they are away from home
and in america. The book costs about $10, and has about 400 recipes
and has menu ideas. (See is from south india (bangalore & hyderabad) so
the style of the food is mostly hyderabadi and banglori.)

If you are interested, drop me a line.

sohail
--
Sohail Hussain

uucp:	 ...{decvax,hao,ihnp4,seismo}!noao!terak!sohail
phone:	 602 998 4800
us mail: Terak Corporation, 14151 N 76th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

mjc@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Monica Cellio) (02/14/85)

From: gatech!gitpyr!partha@ut-sally (Partha Dasgupta)
>> 1 cup peas ( I usually use frozen or fresh )
>
>What other kind are there?

Canned.  But by rights they shouldn't count... :-)

						-Dragon
--
UUCP: ...ucbvax!dual!lll-crg!dragon
ARPA: monica.cellio@cmu-cs-cad or dragon@lll-crg