[comp.graphics] Pricing info on Foley, van Dam, etc. 2nd Edition

jmelv@madnix.UUCP (John Melvin) (09/16/90)

Hi,

	I've run across a copy of the 2nd edition of the Foley, van Dam,
etc. book on interactive computer graphics in a local computer store.
They are looking to get about $70.00 for it.  Can anyone send me a
note saying if this is in line?  It's a big book, but it seems to
be about twice what the first edition was.

	I don't habitually read comp.graphics, but zip thru it every now
and then.  Thus, direct mail would work best.  I will, of course,
keep an eye on the group for a while since this message is pending
response.

	Thanks a lot for your help.

JPM

--
John P. Melvin                                                         //  Amiga
UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jmelv   \X/  Forever

cavrak@uvm-gen.UUCP (Steve Cavrak,113 Waterman,6561483,) (09/17/90)

From article <1548@madnix.UUCP>, by jmelv@madnix.UUCP (John Melvin):
> 	I've run across a copy of the 2nd edition of the Foley, van Dam,
> etc. book on interactive computer graphics in a local computer store.
> They are looking to get about $70.00 for it.  Can anyone send me a
> note saying if this is in line?  It's a big book, but it seems to
> be about twice what the first edition was.

Our university store at the University of Vermont has it marked at
$63.95.  Since it is a textbook required for a class, there is a 10%
discount applied at the cash register.

Steve

thomas@weigelshofen.uucp (Thomas Oeser (DI AP 313)) (09/18/90)

I was at the Eurographics Conference at Montreux, where Addison-Wesley was also
present. They offered Foley's 2nd edition for

		US $  69.95	SFR  89.90	DFL  125.90

Thomas Oeser

*********** DISCLAIMER: All opinions stated here are strictly my own ***********
Internet:	thomas%apgraph%ap542@ztivax.siemens.com
Europe:		thomas%apgraph%ap542@ztivax.UUCP
UUCP:		...!uunet!mcsun!unido!ztivax!ap542!apgraph!thomas
Phone:		+ 49 89 636 47537
Fax:		+ 49 89 636 45522
Postal Mail:	Siemens AG, DI AP 313, Carl-Wery-Str. 22, D-8000 Munich 83
		West Germany

ivan@cwi.nl (Ivan Herman) (09/21/90)

In article <927@ap542.uucp> thomas@weigelshofen.uucp (Thomas Oeser (DI AP 313)) writes:

>I was at the Eurographics Conference at Montreux, where Addison-Wesley was also
>present. They offered Foley's 2nd edition for
>
>		US $  69.95	SFR  89.90	DFL  125.90

This would be nice, but it is not absolutely correct. They were selling the
book at EG'90 at promotion price, ie without taxes (this event was the first
time in Europe to sell the book). Once in the shops or even by ordering from
Addison Wesley now, you have to expect at least 15% more...
--
Ivan Herman
             Centre for Mathematics & Computer Sciences (CWI),

cc4b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Brian Cox) (09/22/90)

>>I was at the Eurographics Conference at Montreux, where Addison-Wesley
>>was also present. They offered Foley's 2nd edition for
>>               US $  69.95     SFR  89.90      DFL  125.90
>This would be nice, but it is not absolutely correct. They were selling the
>book at EG'90 at promotion price, ie without taxes (this event was the first
>time in Europe to sell the book). Once in the shops or even by ordering from
>Addison Wesley now, you have to expect at least 15% more...

That's funny, I just bought my copy at a local bookstore for $64.50 (US).
The particular store isn't exactly know for it's discount pricing.

Chris Cox
cc4b+@andrew.cmu.edu

ps. It's a pretty major improvement over the original book. If you can find it,m and afford it, buy it.

lambert@spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au (Tim Lambert) (09/29/90)

>>>I was at the Eurographics Conference at Montreux, where Addison-Wesley
>>>was also present. They offered Foley's 2nd edition for
>>>               US $  69.95     SFR  89.90      DFL  125.90
>>This would be nice, but it is not absolutely correct. They were selling the
>>book at EG'90 at promotion price, ie without taxes (this event was the first
>>time in Europe to sell the book). Once in the shops or even by ordering from
>>Addison Wesley now, you have to expect at least 15% more...

> That's funny, I just bought my copy at a local bookstore for $64.50 (US).
> The particular store isn't exactly know for it's discount pricing.

To add one more data point to the worldwide price of Foley, van Dam,
Feiner and Hughes: The price here in Australia is AUS$68.50 (which is
roughly US$56).

On the other hand "Graphics Gems" is AUS$109.60 (and you have to wait
four months :-(

Tim

ajcd@cs.ed.ac.uk (Angus Duggan) (10/01/90)

In article <LAMBERT.90Sep29215155@nankeen.spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au>, lambert@spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au
(Tim Lambert) writes:
> To add one more data point to the worldwide price of Foley, van Dam,
> Feiner and Hughes: The price here in Australia is AUS$68.50 (which is
> roughly US$56).
This is strange---book prices in Britain are not usually cheap, but I got a
copy of Foley, Van Dam, Feiner & Hughes from my local bookshop for #29.95
(pounds sterling). Maybe they put the wrong price tag on it :-)

Angus
==
Angus Duggan, Department of Computer Science,	| I'm pink, therefore I'm Spam.
University of Edinburgh, JCMB,			|
The King's Buildings, Mayfield Road,		| JANET:  ajcd@uk.ac.ed.lfcs
Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, Scotland.	| OR:  ajcd%lfcs.ed.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

spence@cbmvax.commodore.com (Spencer Shanson) (10/03/90)

In article <477@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk> ajcd@cs.ed.ac.uk (Angus Duggan) writes:

>In article <LAMBERT.90Sep29215155@nankeen.spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au>, lambert@spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au
>(Tim Lambert) writes:
>> To add one more data point to the worldwide price of Foley, van Dam,
>> Feiner and Hughes: The price here in Australia is AUS$68.50 (which is
>> roughly US$56).
>This is strange---book prices in Britain are not usually cheap, but I got a
>copy of Foley, Van Dam, Feiner & Hughes from my local bookshop for #29.95
>(pounds sterling). Maybe they put the wrong price tag on it :-)

You're probably looking at the old edition of F&VD - a 2nd edition has just
come out over here. Knowing the prices of Computer Books in the UK, I find it
hard to believe you can get it for just 30 quid.

Remember, all the publishers do is change the sign at the front of the price -
$30 -> #30 :-(

>Angus
>==
>Angus Duggan, Department of Computer Science,	| I'm pink, therefore I'm Spam.
>University of Edinburgh, JCMB,			|
>The King's Buildings, Mayfield Road,		| JANET:  ajcd@uk.ac.ed.lfcs
>Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, Scotland.	| OR:  ajcd%lfcs.ed.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

spence

Spencer Shanson - All opinions expressed are my own, and do not
                  (necessarily) represent those of Commodore.

email:
      spence@cbmvax
      spence@cix

And the obligatory end-quote:
      "...., just don't get caught doing it!!"

bakke@plains.NoDak.edu (Jeffrey P. Bakke) (10/03/90)

.... A number of author references deleted to save overload ....

> >> To add one more data point to the worldwide price of Foley, van Dam,
> >> Feiner and Hughes: The price here in Australia is AUS$68.50 (which is
> >> roughly US$56).
> >copy of Foley, Van Dam, Feiner & Hughes from my local bookshop for #29.95
> >(pounds sterling). Maybe they put the wrong price tag on it :-)
> come out over here. Knowing the prices of Computer Books in the UK, I find it
> hard to believe you can get it for just 30 quid.
> Remember, all the publishers do is change the sign at the front of the price -
> $30 -> #30 :-(

Are you sure about this?  From watching the early morning news overseas
stock market reports, the British pound is roughly worth $1.85 US.
If you figure that out, #30 is roughly equal to $55.00 US Dollars.
Sounds about the same price to me.

I've never seen publishers change the sign only.  Usually you see two listings
for prices.  And usually buying from out of the U.S. costs you more when its
published in the US.

--
Jeffrey P. Bakke               Internet: bakke@plains.NoDak.edu
                      UUCP    : ...!uunet!plains!bakke

prt@castle.ed.ac.uk (P Taylor) (10/04/90)

No really I think the UK is cheaper for once. I have at my side the book
(complete with "Dutch interior" on the dust jacket) and a mastercard
bill for 29.95 pounds sterling. Hands up all those who are going to
start mail ordering from the UK ??

mrd@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Mark Dobie) (10/04/90)

In <14820@cbmvax.commodore.com> spence@cbmvax.commodore.com (Spencer Shanson) writes:

>In article <477@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk> ajcd@cs.ed.ac.uk (Angus Duggan) writes:
>>This is strange---book prices in Britain are not usually cheap, but I got a
>>copy of Foley, Van Dam, Feiner & Hughes from my local bookshop for #29.95
>>(pounds sterling). Maybe they put the wrong price tag on it :-)
>>

>You're probably looking at the old edition of F&VD - a 2nd edition has just
>come out over here. Knowing the prices of Computer Books in the UK, I find it
>hard to believe you can get it for just 30 quid.

No, Its true. 29.95 (sterling) is the price I paid too. In fact, in
the original literature I saw from AW it was listed at 27.95, but I
don't begrudge them the extra two quid. Worth every penny.

Mark Dobie                              M.Dobie@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
University of Southampton		M.Dobie@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)