[comp.graphics] DXF to any object format

apollo@mv06.ecf (Vince Pugliese) (09/28/90)

this has probably been asked before but here we go again:

one of the guys in the lab has been creating some parts using Autocad
and i keep thinking to myself "wouldn't it be neat if we could
render these parts with one of the high-quality PD tracers around?"

if anyone has such a thing please let me know. post or e-mail as you
see fit.

thanks in advance,
.vp

p.s. we are running release 10 of autocad and these would be 3d entities

zap@lysator.liu.se (Zap Andersson) (10/01/90)

apollo@mv06.ecf (Vince Pugliese) writes:

>this has probably been asked before but here we go again:

>one of the guys in the lab has been creating some parts using Autocad
>and i keep thinking to myself "wouldn't it be neat if we could
>render these parts with one of the high-quality PD tracers around?"

>if anyone has such a thing please let me know. post or e-mail as you
>see fit.

>thanks in advance,
>.vp

>p.s. we are running release 10 of autocad and these would be 3d entities

Well, you may wait just a little while, and a program called RayTracker will
show it's face around the world.... it will not be PD, but it will be
realcheep.... and it's sole purpose is to render AutoCAD images!

Believe me, I'm the program Author!

Will be released as soon as all is done (today, the version number is 0
0.99.997Beta) and some kind of printed manual is produced.

It will be available from
EMT AB
Box 40
S-178 00 Ekeroe
SWEDEN

or

EMT Inc  #250
119 N. Commercial st.
Bellingam, WA
98255 USA

Any questions may be directed to me. Price is not set yet, but it will be
cheaper tn AutoDesk renderman and AutoDesk 3D studio... hopefully y
SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper.....  let's see what happens, I have projects at
higher priority right now.....

/Zap of EMT
--
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* My signature is smaller than  *
* My signature is smaller than  *
* yours!  - zap@lysator.liu.se  *

a148@mindlink.UUCP (E. John Love) (10/05/90)

If this is any help, there is a commercial product called "AutoCAD Converter"
(I think that's the name), which allows you to convert AutoCAD DXF files to
Sculpt 3D/4D format, which allows you to render in ray-trace, and animate,
respectively.  Can't remember a price - sorry!
Cheers!!
E. John Love
Emily Carr College of Art and Design
Vancouver, BC