[comp.graphics] TIs 3d display

palmerc@infonode.ingr.com (Chris Palmer) (10/01/90)

I read a very small blurb about Texas Instruments new 3D bubble display
that creates a 3D image in a 2" diameter sphere.  The image is viewable
from any angle without special lenses or glasses.

Question:  How does it work?  What is the image quality?  Is real-time
	   animation possible?  Is it color?

(OK, that was more than one question :-) )

I am VERY interested in this because I am working on a viewer-independant
3D system myself (no details yet, I am still experimenting).  I want to know
if TI has beaten me to it or if there is still hope for improvement or different
approaches.

Posted or e-mail replies welcome.

				Thanks in advance,
				Chris Palmer
--
|  Christopher M. Palmer                        #|Quote section| | | | | | ||
/  Intergraph Corporation                       #| | Closed For| |o| | | | |\

mccool@dgp.toronto.edu (Michael McCool) (10/02/90)

palmerc@infonode.ingr.com (Chris Palmer) writes:

>I read a very small blurb about Texas Instruments new 3D bubble display
>that creates a 3D image in a 2" diameter sphere.  The image is viewable
>from any angle without special lenses or glasses.

>Question:  How does it work?  What is the image quality?  Is real-time
>	   animation possible?  Is it color?

TI had a demonstration of this at SIGGRAPH this year.  It was very
impressive, but has drawbacks.  It works by scanning a laser over
a rotating double helix of plexiglass (or something) coated to "stop"
the laser beam and produce a dot in space.  The relative timing of
the laser illumination and the rotation of the helix determine the
height of the spot.

Make that a 2' diameter sphere, with a 5^3" working space to
one side.  The center can't be used; the axis of the helix is there
(singularity).

It is like the old calligraphic displays, except it is even more
limited: it can only display points in space.  I guess the computation
to scan a "line" would be too nonlinear and would have singularities
at some orientations of the line (such as vertical). Like calligraphic
displays, there is a limit on the number of points that can be displayed
while still avoiding flicker.   There is a flicker anyways from the limit
on the rotation speed of the helix (noisy, too, but with a neat,
science-fictionish OMMMM sound that fits, somehow).  Color is
possible by having more than one laser, and having them scan independently:
multiply the cost of the system by 3.  Multiple lasers can also be
used to decrease flicker by having them scan points in parallel.
The display was also a little blurry, since the disk needs a finite
thickness and invariably disperses the laser point a bit.

Of course, some phenomena are impossible, such as opacity and
reflectance.  Not a replacement for 3d computer graphics.

I have nothing to do with TI, I just went to their booth and
asked annoying questions 8-)

michael mccool@dgp.toronto.edu

rick@pangea.Stanford.EDU (Rick Ottolini) (10/02/90)

Didn't the first versions of TV in the 1920's use mechanical scanners
before magnetic beams were perfected?

jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) (10/03/90)

(Repost... posting problem...)

Does anyone know how it compares with the current version of the
Spacegraph that Larry Sher built at BBN?  E.g., how many points can be
displayed without flicker?

The big problem I see with both the Spacegraph and TI's system is that
they both produce "cloud" type images.  Transparency is useful for
some applications but usually it gets in the way of understanding
complex structures.  It's not at all well suited for CAD/CAM or
architectural modeling in which solid surfaces and lighting cues are
important.  But it might be useful for missle trajectories or air
traffic control.

For most things, I'd rather have head mounted stereo displays.

Where will the big demand for these devices come from?

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			Durand 012
Stanford University				FAX: (415) 725-3377
(jim@KAOS.stanford.edu) 			Work: (415) 723-9127

ron@vicorp.com (Ron Peterson) (10/03/90)

In article <1990Oct1.160621.5445@infonode.ingr.com> palmerc@infonode.UUCP (Chris Palmer) writes:
>I read a very small blurb about Texas Instruments new 3D bubble display
>that creates a 3D image in a 2" diameter sphere.  The image is viewable
>from any angle without special lenses or glasses.
>
>Question:  How does it work?  What is the image quality?  Is real-time
>	   animation possible?  Is it color?
>
>I am VERY interested in this because I am working on a viewer-independant
>3D system myself (no details yet, I am still experimenting).  I want to know
>if TI has beaten me to it or if there is still hope for improvement or different
>approaches.

I read about a 3D display in EETimes that I think had been built by TI.  It
was a plastic hemishpere that enclosed a clear plastic disk or ellipse that
rotated at high speed and was drawn onto with a laser beam or bright light.
The image with this kind of approach is viewable from any angle without
glasses or special optics.  The picture showed a bubble about two feet
across.  It was being demonstrated at some convention like SIGGRAPH.
I don't think TI invented this approach and considering how slow the big
companies are in bringing out really inovative products I would suggest
pursuing it anyway, even if the method is the same (so long as they
haven't patented it.)
                      ron@vicorp.com

news@helens.Stanford.EDU (news) (10/03/90)

ncramer@bbn.com (Nichael Cramer) (10/03/90)

ron@vicorp.com (Ron Peterson) writes:
|palmerc@infonode.UUCP (Chris Palmer) writes:
|>I read a very small blurb about Texas Instruments new 3D bubble display
|>that creates a 3D image in a 2" diameter sphere.  The image is viewable
|>from any angle without special lenses or glasses.
|I read about a 3D display in EETimes that I think had been built by TI.  It
|was a plastic hemishpere that enclosed a clear plastic disk or ellipse that
|rotated at high speed and was drawn onto with a laser beam or bright light.
|The image with this kind of approach is viewable from any angle without
|glasses or special optics.  The picture showed a bubble about two feet
|across.  It was being demonstrated at some convention like SIGGRAPH.

I saw this at SIGGRAPH.  Your description is basically correct except that
I believe the shape of the rotating sheet was a helix.  Therefore the
height of the point of light was determine by (and limited to) the height
of the helix.  In cross-section:

           Axel -------->XX
                         XX
                         XX===========*=============  <--- Cross-section
                         XX           o                   of Helix
                         XX           o
                         XX           o
 ========================XX           o
                      	 XX           o
                      	 XX           o
                      	 XX           o
                                     -o-
                                     | |
                                     | |
                                     | |
                                 Laser Source

|>>Question:  How does it work?  What is the image quality?  Is real-time
|>	   animation possible?  Is it color?

Well, basically what you have is a vector-drawing system, with all of its
inherent limitations (e.g. no surfaces, etc).  The limiting factors for the
image quality and speed/quality of animation are "pixel" resolution size of
the material of the rotating sheet and refresh rate (i.e. how fast can you
get a two-foot diameter sheet of plastic rotating like this).  Re color,
etc., you could presumably add more than one laser.

Another (vaguely) related system is BBN's SPACEGRAPH system [yes I work
here, but I'm not related to the SG group so, this isn't really an
advertisement.  Honest].  In the case of SPACEGRAPH the lasers beams are
drawn onto a mirror whose center is rapidly vibrating.  This has the same
advantages of "equipment-free" 3D viewing without the mechanical hassles of
the large body movement and the image size is not limited by the physical
size of the helix.

NICHAEL
nichael@bbn.com  --  "This is my Email to the world..."

sao@athena.mit.edu (Andy Oakland) (10/06/90)

In article <1990Oct1.212142.18501@morrow.stanford.edu> rick@pangea.Stanford.EDU (Rick Ottolini) writes:
>Didn't the first versions of TV in the 1920's use mechanical scanners
>before magnetic beams were perfected?

It's true; I've seen one of these monsters.  Imagine a big (~3')
spinning disc, punched with holes.  At the top of the disc, a neon (?)
bulb was behind it, and a translucent screen a few inches square was
in front.

The bulb flickered in time with the incoming video signal, the
disc spun, and the holes in the disc were arranged so that the bulb
showed through progressively lower scanlines.

The resulting image was about the size of a postage stamp.  Amazing.

	:Andy Oakland
	sao@athena.mit.edu

domingo@boulder.colorado.edu (Alberto Domingo) (10/06/90)

In article <1990Oct5.193803.13819@athena.mit.edu> sao@athena.mit.edu (Andy Oakland) writes:
>It's true; I've seen one of these monsters.  Imagine a big (~3')
>spinning disc, punched with holes.  At the top of the disc, a neon (?)
>	:Andy Oakland
>	sao@athena.mit.edu

This device (the disc) is called a Nipokow disc, and it is a very
smart idea for obtaining a 2d scan in both directions. It is also
used (even today) in some special optical microscopy called confocal
and this is the only way to obtain this kind of microscopy in
real time (deflected laser beams are much slower).
Just a short note.

Alberto