[comp.graphics] VGA boards, and recommendations

ux2674@sdcc12.ucsd.edu (matti siltanen) (10/04/90)

Has anyone got any recommendations on a EVGA/SVGA board?

In particular, what experience have persons had with
Orchids prodesigner II board (upto 1MB ram)?

esp17020@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/06/90)

I've been using the ProDesigner II now for several weeks and have been very
pleased with the results.  My board has 1MB installed for a maximum
1024 x 768 resolution with 256 colors.  It is installed in a 386 PC running
at 33 MHz.  The drivers that came with the board seem to work very well, as
I especially enjoy using Windows 3.0 at max resolution and color.  Other
programs which take advantage of the 1MB include the latest versions of CShow
and Fractint.  I have not experienced any compatibility problems with lower
resolution/color modes.  I have heard that Orchid did experience some
problems with the original ProDesigner card, and that service/repair response
has been poor in the past.  The board does come with at least a 4 year
warranty though, so this might not be a problem now.  I might also mention
that I am using an interlaced monitor, but notice only a very small amount
of flicker at the highest resolution in only a couple of applications.
Appearance of flicker, though, is tied more closely to the monitor and to
personal taste.  Overall, I have been pleased with the ProDesigner II's
results.  Let me know if you have other questions about anything that I've
mentioned.

Sean Parham
University of Illinois
esp17020@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

Disclaimer:  I hate disclaimers.

clouds@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (10/07/90)

In article <12959@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ux2674@sdcc12.ucsd.edu (matti siltanen) writes:
>Has anyone got any recommendations on a EVGA/SVGA board?
>
>In particular, what experience have persons had with
>Orchids prodesigner II board (upto 1MB ram)?

I've not used the Orchid board, but I can recommend the Paradise Professional
wholeheartedly. It offers a wide range of resolutions, it's fairly standard
(that is, a lot of graphics application software will support it), it comes
with drivers (including Windows drivers).

We're using it in 640x480x256color to do overlays for interactive video.
$229 sample mail order price.

|  Kathy Strong               |  "Welcome to FUBAR Corp., where there's  |
|  (Clouds moving slowly)     |   never enough time to do a job right,   |
|  clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  |   but always enough time to do it over." |