[comp.graphics] info on paintbrush systems and physics particle systems

mark@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark Jansen) (10/05/90)

I am curious about information pointers on two subjects.

first I see that this years siggraph achievement awards went to two
researchers that worked on the original paintbrush systems.  I am curious to
know how such systems doing smear,blur,blend and such.  I am also interested
to know what the original references are for that work.

second, I know that physicists do computer simulations of galaxies, globular
clusters, planetoid collisions and such.  These things I might call
particle system dynamics.  What are the basic methods of doing these types
of computations efficiently.  Is there a basic textbook or basic references
but I am sure the field has really baroqued out with thousands of obscure
numerical methods.  I don't want to spend my life chasing them all down.
Just the facts.

Thanks

--
Mark Jansen, Department of Computer and Information Science
The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave., Columbus, OH USA 43210-1277

jch@Stardent.COM (Jan Hardenbergh @stardent) (10/09/90)

From: mark@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark Jansen)
Date: 5 Oct 90 14:56:53 GMT

> second, I know that physicists do computer simulations of galaxies, globular
> clusters, planetoid collisions and such.  These things I might call
> particle system dynamics.  What are the basic methods of doing these types
> of computations efficiently.  Is there a basic textbook or basic references
> but I am sure the field has really baroqued out with thousands of obscure
> numerical methods.  I don't want to spend my life chasing them all down.
> Just the facts.

You should read the paper in the SIGGRAPH 90 proceedings by Jim Arvo and
David Kirk, "Particle Transport and Image Synthesis". It will tell you
much of what you want to know and has a good bibliography.

--
-Jan "YON" Hardenbergh - jch@stardent.com                uunet!stardent!jch
Stardent Computer, Inc.,  95 Wells Ave., Newton, MA 02159 (617)964-6228x261