[comp.graphics] Lensman

campbelr@hpcuha.HP.COM (Bob Campbell) (10/06/90)

> The film Lensman is playing at the Sash Mill in Santa Cruz, Nov. 1-7.
> 7 and 9 pm.  It may show at other revival theaters.

It was advertised as being/coming to the Cameras in San Jose.  Could
you describe it?  I assume it was computer-generated animation.
Bob Campbell                Some times I wish that I could stop you from
campbelr@hpda.cup.hp.com    talking, when I hear the silly things you say.
Hewlett Packard                                    - Elvis Costello

ddt@walt.cc.utexas.edu (David Taylor) (10/08/90)

In article campbelr@hpcuha.HP.COM (Bob Campbell) writes:

>It was advertised as being/coming to the Cameras in San Jose.  Could
>you describe it?  I assume it was computer-generated animation.

It had several segments of computer animation, specifically the openeing
sequences and the bad-guy ships.  This animation was impressive, but the
film was depressingly childish.  The awful sense of humor and obvious
rip-off of the Star Wars trilogy are what make the film a flop.  If you
see it, be SURE not to pay more than $1 or you'll feel sorely cheated.

I suggest you see Akira again.  You'll enjoy it an Nth time much more
than you'll enjoy Lensman the first.

	=-ddt->

wirehead@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) (10/09/90)

Inhis article, ddt@walt.cc.utexas.edu says
>The awful sense of humor and obvious rip-off of the Star Wars trilogy...

I hate to tell you this, but the only ripping off done was by George Lucas
from the original "Lensman" series. The movie Lensman is actually a pretty
good adaptation of the fifth book (out of eight) of the Lensman series. It
owes absolutely nothing nothing to Lucas&co, but came straight from the
fertile mind of E.E. "Doc" Smith in the 1950s. Doc Smith is the author who
invented the term "space opera." Anyway, this doesn't belong here in
comp.graphics, sorry for wasting the bandwidth.

PS. There may be some differences between the release version and the
version I own... I have a video of the Japanese release, which came out in
1983 in Japan. I wonder why the seven year wait?

The preceding is another warped opinion from the fevered brain of
		 wirehead@oxy.edu

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (10/10/90)

In article <114485@tiger.oxy.edu> wirehead@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) writes:
>Inhis article, ddt@walt.cc.utexas.edu says
>>The awful sense of humor and obvious rip-off of the Star Wars trilogy...
>I hate to tell you this, but the only ripping off done was by George Lucas
>from the original "Lensman" series. The movie Lensman is actually a pretty

Bzzt.  Lucas says that he ripped off Kurosawa's "The Hidden Fortress".
(Rent it, it's a neat movie.  Kinda like Star Wars in 18 or 19th century
Japan. :-)

--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Manager - University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120