[comp.graphics] Ape V2.0 availability?

glc@shodha.dbs.dec.com (Greg Chesney) (10/10/90)

Hello netland,

Does anyone know where I can get Ape V2.0? It was developed at the
Ohio Supercomputing Center. It's for non-graphics types, does
animation, and runs on a number of platforms. It is apparently
distributed free.

thanks,
Greg

foo@titan.rice.edu (Mark Hall) (10/11/90)

In article <1797@shodha.enet.dec.com> glc@shodha.dbs.dec.com (Glc Chesney) writes:
)Does anyone know where I can get Ape V2.0?

For more information, please contact:

        Michelle Messenger              michelle@rhett.osgp.osc.edu
        Project Coordinator
        The Ohio Supercomputer Graphics Project
        1224 Kinnear Road
        Columbus, Ohio  43212
        (614) 292-3274
        (614) 292-7168 (FAX)

gpraman@sdrc.UUCP (raman srinivasan) (10/11/90)

In article <1797@shodha.enet.dec.com>, glc@shodha.dbs.dec.com (Greg Chesney) writes:

> Does anyone know where I can get Ape V2.0? It was developed at the

You can obtain an apE 2.0 order form thru anonymous ftp from
apE.osgp.osc.edu (128.146.18.18) or by calling (614)292-0006.
Questions to be directed to michelle@rhett.osgp.osc.edu.  It
costs $75.

fujii@hpfcdq.HP.COM (John Fujii) (10/11/90)

	apE Version 2.0 is an animation and visualization toolkit
	developed at the Ohio Supercomputer Center in Columbus, Ohio,
	in concert with the Advanced Computing Center for the Arts
	and Design (ACCAD).

	There is a small pointer to obtaining information about the
	kit in this month's (Oct' 90) "Computer Graphics World" on
	page 26.

	I believe you can best reach the OSGP (Ohio Supercomputer
	Graphics Project) people through Michelle Messinger at

			michelle@rhett.osgp.osc.edu

	Hope this helps.

	John M. Fujii
	Former-ACCAD-ian-at-Large 8^)

	"Any opinions expressed above are my own, not my company's"
						-- Disclaimer T. Standard

----
                                             ___
                                            /   \
        John M. Fujii                      /vvvvv\
        Graphics Engineer    _____________/       \_____________
                             Forget the Rockies, go ski Mt. Fuji!

        Hewlett-Packard Company, Graphics Technology Division
        3404 East Harmony Road, Mail Stop 73
        Fort Collins, Colorado   80525-9599

        fujii%hpfcla@hplabs.hp.com

murray@vs2.scri.fsu.edu (John Murray) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct10.193458.25739@rice.edu> foo@titan.rice.edu (Mark Hall) writes:
>)Does anyone know where I can get Ape V2.0?

Coincidentally, just this morning I got a copy of apEvine, a little periodical
that Ohio SC is sending out to apE users and interested parties. In it they
explain the delay in shipping apE: on 9-18, Steve Jobs announced some new NeXT
packages, and apE is a part of one of the color packages. apE 2.0 is going
to support all NeXT platforms. Shipping of 2.0 is delayed due to the port to
the NeXT machines. They say the NeXT port took three weeks, and they expect
that to have a similar impact on the original shipping date of 9-28.

So, shipping of apE is expected to begin in about a week.

And no, apE is not free, it's just nearly free. It's $75 a copy. It would
probably go for ten times that if it were a commercial product.

In the same periodical, they mention that there is postscript apE information
available via anonymous ftp at apE.osgp.osc.edu (128.146.18.18) in pub/doc/info
and pub/doc/papers. Files include the non-profit site-license agreement, the
for-profit site license agreement, order form, technical info, reprints of
some visualization papers that make use of apE, etc.

If you do not have ftp access, the order form and site-license agreements are
available by calling (614) 292-0006

If you want a subscription to apEvine, contact Michelle Messenger:

>In article <1797@shodha.enet.dec.com> glc@shodha.dbs.dec.com (Glc Chesney) writes:
>For more information, please contact:
>        Michelle Messenger              michelle@rhett.osgp.osc.edu
>        Project Coordinator
>        The Ohio Supercomputer Graphics Project
>        1224 Kinnear Road
>        Columbus, Ohio  43212
>        (614) 292-3274
>        (614) 292-7168 (FAX)

Disclaimer: I saw apE 2.0 at SIGGRAPH and thought it was pretty neat.
That's all. I don't work for the Ohio Supercomputer Center, but they
are welcome to ask me for a resume any time!
--
Disclaimer: Any opinions above have little or nothing to do with reality.
John R. Murray               | "They call me Mr. Know-it-all, I am so eloquent.