[comp.graphics] name this bitmap

jdm5548@diamond.tamu.edu (James Darrell McCauley) (10/12/90)

I just received some C++ libraries (Zinc Interface Library)
and they give the programmer the ability to include bitmaps
in their code pretty easily.  An example of the format follows:

  unsigned short boxBitmap[]=
  {
      8,        // Width
      4,        // Height
      0xFF00,   // ********    padded to 16 bits
      0x8100,   // *      *
      0x8100,   // *      *
      0xFF00    // ********
  };

Does this type of format have a name?  Does anyone recognize it
as a "???" bitmap?  I'd like to find a utility to do
  (xwd | pbm | ras) -> "???"
except I don't know what to look for.  Looks very similar
to X bitmaps (except XBM has 8 bit boundaries, instead of 16 bit).
Guess I could go easily from XBM->???, but that would require
some coding. (Why reinvent...?)
--- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
James Darrell McCauley                 jdm5548@diamond.tamu.edu
Dept of Ag. Engineering                          (409) 845-6484
Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas 77843-2117, USA

news@heitis1.uucp (News Administrator) (10/15/90)

In article <9010@helios.TAMU.EDU> jdm5548@diamond.tamu.edu (James Darrell McCauley) writes:
>I just received some C++ libraries (Zinc Interface Library)
>and they give the programmer the ability to include bitmaps
>in their code pretty easily.  An example of the format follows:
>
>  unsigned short boxBitmap[]=
>  {
>      8,        // Width
>      4,        // Height
>      0xFF00,   // ********    padded to 16 bits
>      0x8100,   // *      *
>      0x8100,   // *      *
>      0xFF00    // ********
>  };
>
>Does this type of format have a name?  Does anyone recognize it

I could be mistaken, but they resemble the GET/PUT formats used by
both MSC v6.0 and TC 2.?.  I wrote a little program which created a
.H file containing a PUTable bitmap for TC several months ago, and it
output basically this format.  (Mine expanded the array a lot, and
required some special code to display the correct portion of the
bitmap array.

	brian