[net.cooks] Pickled Eggplant recipe request

mmr@ritcv.UUCP (Margaret Reek) (02/21/85)

	A couple of nights ago I had an antipasto at an Italian restaurant
that included some pickled eggplant.  It wasn't a dill type pickle, but
rather marinated in italian spices (I think). It was excellent, and I don't
even like eggplant very much.  Does anyone have a recipe for anything like this?
Thanks in advance.

			Margaret Reek
			Rochester Institute of Technology
			rochester!ritcv!mmr

bussell@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/24/85)

> 	A couple of nights ago I had an antipasto at an Italian restaurant
> that included some pickled eggplant.  It wasn't a dill type pickle, but
> rather marinated in italian spices (I think). It was excellent, and I don't
> even like eggplant very much.  Does anyone have a recipe for anything like this?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> 			Margaret Reek
> 			Rochester Institute of Technology
> 			rochester!ritcv!mmr

I'm always interested in sharing "eggplant" experiences.

From:
Candler, Teresa Gilardi, "Vegetables in the Italian Way",
Mc Graw Hill, (New York, 1980).

                      MELANZANE SOTT`ACETO
                          (Italian - 4)
                       (Pickled Eggplants)

          4 large eggplants
          6 cloves garlic, sliced
          16 oz pimiento strips
          6 t white peppercorns
          6 t red pepper flakes
          6 bay leaves, crushed
          6 t dried marjoram
          8 cups white vinegar
          2 T salt

1.  Peel eggplants and dice them. Place in vegetable steamer over
1  inch  of salted water.  Cover and steam for 2  minutes.  Drain
well.  Pack into hot sterilized jars. Add to each jar some of the
garlic slices,  pimiento strips,  peppercorns, pepper flakes, bay
leaves and marjoram.

2.  Bring vinegar with salt to a boil.  Pour over hot  eggplants,
filling to within 1/2 inch of the top,  making sure liquid covers
the eggplants. Seal, and keep in a cool place.

MAKES 6 PINTS

Burt Bussell