[comp.graphics] Gif

cgw21008@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/18/90)

I believe the correct pronunciation is "gif" as in "gift", since it
stands for "Graphics Interchange Format", and "Graphics" begins with
the same consonant sound as "gift."

A lot of people pronounce it "jif," though.

-Chris Wilson
-cwilson@uiuc.edu
"They laugh because they're untouchable, not because what I said was wrong."

sz@cci632.UUCP (Stephen Zehl) (10/19/90)

In article <112100011@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> cgw21008@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I believe the correct pronunciation is "gif" as in "gift", since it
>stands for "Graphics Interchange Format", and "Graphics" begins with
>the same consonant sound as "gift."
>
>A lot of people pronounce it "jif," though.
>
>-Chris Wilson
>-cwilson@uiuc.edu

	Thanks to everyone who sent me e-mail on this, and for the rest
of you who were as confused as I on this issue (Chris, Fred, and others)
I've attached the collection of e-mails I received explaining the answer.
Thanks again, take care.

				Steve.

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 10:14:41 -0400
From: Pierce Krouse <ccicpg!uunet!cis.ohio-state.edu!krouse-p>

It's pronounced like the peanut butter.

From: ccicpg!uunet!ucsd!nprdc!malloy (Sean Malloy)

Choosy hackers choose 'jif'!     :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

 Sean Malloy                                   | American Non Sequitur Society
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center  |
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800                      |    "We may not make sense,
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil                         |     but we do like pizza."

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 12:37:02 EDT
From: ccicpg!uunet!eniac.seas.upenn.edu!mfontana (Mark A Fontana)

According to a friend of mine who works at Compu$erve in Columbus, OH,
"GIF" is pronounced "jif", as in the brand of peanut butter.

- Mark Fontana
  mfontana@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 16:44:25 CST
From: Chowder Head <ccicpg!uunet!moe.rice.edu!mwk!groversh>

According to a file I got from Compu$erve, GIF is pronounced like jif
(jiffy).

Shawn Grover                                   groversh@mwk.uucp
the m. w. kellogg company

 CCCC  CCCC IIII     Stephen Zehl          Internet: cci632!sz@cs.rochester.EDU
CC    CC     II   Computer Consoles. Inc.    or
CC    CC     II    Rochester, New York.    Usenet:  rutgers!rochester!cci632!sz
 CCCC  CCCC IIII       DISCLAIMER: I speak for myself, not for my employer.