[comp.graphics] map projections

msb62@leah.Albany.Edu (Mitch Baltuch) (03/04/89)

I have to write an application which makes extensive use of maps.  I need to
be able to display the maps in polar stereographic, parabolic, and linear
projections.  Does any public domain software exist for doing this.  I will
be using a map database consisting of lat/lon pairs as vectors.

Thanks,
Mitch Baltuch
Thunderstorm Analysis Center
State University of New York
Internet: msb62@leah.albany.edu		Phone: (518) 442-4138
Bitnet:   m.s.baltuch@albny1vx		Snail Mail: State Univ. of NY at Albany
						    ES235	ATM/SCI
						    1400 Washington Ave.
						    Albany, New York 12222

Disclaimer: These opinions are only mine, but I love 'em anyway.

jxh@cup.portal.com (Jim - Hickstein) (03/06/89)

>...map projections...ortho...linear...neat stuff

I don't know, but if you find some, PLEASE let me know!  I've been trying
to brain out all these wonderful projections I got in a book by the USGS,
but I'm afraid my formal education in trig is lacking.  I, too, need to do
ortho, equatorial and oblique aspects, but nobody can tell me how to draw
a straight line (straight in the cartesian plane but not necessarily the
projected plane).  Is there a more accessible book about this out there?

ldm@texhrc.UUCP (Lyle Meier) (03/07/89)

In article <15458@cup.portal.com>, jxh@cup.portal.com (Jim - Hickstein) writes:
> >...map projections...ortho...linear...neat stuff
>
> I don't know, but if you find some, PLEASE let me know!  I've been trying

There is a U.S.G.S. (U.S Geological Survey) bulletin 12xx or so about map
projections, as well as a 40 year old coast and geodetic survey publication.

There is also software available from U.S.G.S. in fortran for 19 common
map projections.

This software was available for the cost of a tape from usgs or ntis
(National Techincal Information Service), at least it was 7 years ago.

paul@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul Bame) (03/08/89)

I was frustrated until I found the "Map Projections of the USGS" (or
something like that - it's at home) book.  I found it quite reasonable and
just translated the projection I required (Albers EA) to C, ran the test
cases in the book, and it worked fine.  I didn't really puzzle out exactly
*how* it worked.  If you require the Albers projection, I'll send you the
code (or even post it - it's small).

	-Paul Bame
	HP Colorado Springs
	719 590 5557
	paul@hpldola.hp.com
	hplabs!hpldola!paul

earl@vicorp.com (Earl Billingsley) (10/08/90)

I need source and or references for as many map projects as possible.
For example, Hammer, Robinson, Dymaxion, Goode Homolosine, etc.
I have ordered two publications (told they were useful) from the
Committee on Map Projections of the American Cartographic Association:
"Which Map is Best? Projections for World Maps" and "Choosing a World
Map - Attributes, Distortions, Classes, Aspects". I don't know what
these will contain in the way of algorithms but am interested in
any help I can get. Thanks.

Earl Billingsley
V.I. Corp
47 Pleasant St.
Northampton Ma. 01060
(413)586-4144 Tel.
(413)586-3805 Fax

tcline@hpislx.HP.COM (Ted Cline) (10/10/90)

> / hpislx:comp.graphics / earl@vicorp.com (Earl Billingsley) /  8:00 am  Oct  8, 1990 /
>
> I need source and or references for as many map projects as possible.
> For example, Hammer, Robinson, Dymaxion, Goode Homolosine, etc.

>                                                   I don't know what
> these will contain in the way of algorithms but am interested in
> any help I can get. Thanks.
>
> Earl Billingsley
> V.I. Corp
> 47 Pleasant St.
> Northampton Ma. 01060
> (413)586-4144 Tel.
> (413)586-3805 Fax
> ----------

I have a copy of "Mapping the World in Pascal", (BYTE Magazine, Dec
1987, p329-334).

It describes itself as "A cartographic sampler:  Five Pascal mapping
routines that give you the power to change the face of the earth".

Which means given latitude and longitude line segment data, you can plot
different map projections:
   Equidistant Cylindrical (rectangular, but Greenland short and wide)
   Sinusoidal (almost a diamond shape)
   Mercator (rectangular, but Greenland bigger than South America)
   Orthographic (Looks like photo of earth from space)
   Hammer (Oval)

In the "FOR FURTHER READING" section:
   Johnston, William D., "Computer Generated Maps", BYTE, May and June
   1979.

   McDonnell, Porter W.  Jr., _Introduction_to_Map_Projections_, New
   York:  Marcel Dekker, 1979.

   Snyder, John P., _Map_Projections_Used_by_the_U.S._Geological_
   _Survey_, Geological Survey Bulletin 1532, 2nd ed.  Washington, D.C.:
   U.S. Government Printing Office, 1982.

----
Ted Cline                           Measurement Systems Operation R&D Lab
ted_cline@hpisla.lvld.hp.com        Hewlett-Packard, CU-325
[ihnp4|hplabs]!hpislx!tcline        815 14th Street SW
(303) 679-2352                      Loveland, CO  80537  USA

6600phnx@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Phoenix / Fig) (10/13/90)

If you want the defacto standards for map projections look up the U.S.
Geological Survey.  They have several publications on map projections,
one called "Map Projections - A Working Manual (Paper 1395)" and there
is another called something like 'The Atlas of Map Projections'.  I have
the first publication and it contains many formulas and specs.  The
second publication is basically what it says and contains many many
projections.  Check with the USGS (I'm sure you can find a telephone
number or an order number, after all it is the government) or try a
University library.  My University has a government publications area that
contains all the USGS publications, but I doubt that your typical public
library would have the books.  Anyway, I'v found all the information I
need about the projections for the USGS, now as to display, this is of
course a much more interesting problem . . .

 ..Mike Figueroa..........................        _______________________
 . 6600phnx@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu  (Internet) .       /        //     /
 .         @ucsbuxa.bitnet    (Bitnet)   .      /----    //     /   __
 .........................................     /        //     /     /
   "Vila weights 73 kilos . . ."              /      ------    ------

thomson@cs.utah.edu (Rich Thomson) (10/14/90)

>   Snyder, John P., _Map_Projections_Used_by_the_U.S._Geological_
>   _Survey_, Geological Survey Bulletin 1532, 2nd ed.  Washington, D.C.:
>   U.S. Government Printing Office, 1982.

Note: the professional paper I mentioned in my previous posting on the
subject supercedes this document; Here's the preface from Professional
Paper 1395:

	``This publication is a major revision of USGS Bulletin 1532,
    which is titled _Map Projections Used by the US Geological
    Survey_.  Although several portions are essentially unchanged
    except for corrections and clarification, there is considerable
    revision in the early general discussion, and the scope of the
    book, originally limited to map projections used by the U.S.
    Geological Survey, now extends to include several other popular or
    useful projections.  These and dozens of other projections are
    described with less detail in the forthcoming USGS publication _An
    Album of Map Projections_.
	As before, this study of map projections is intended to be
    useful to both the reader interested in the philosophy or history
    of the projections and the reader desiring the mathematics.  Under
    each of the projections described, the nonmathematical phases are
    presented first, without interruption by formulas.  They are
    followed by the formulas and tables, which the first type of
    reader may skip entirely to pass to the nonmathematical section of
    the next projection.  Even with the mathematics, there are almost
    no derivations and very little calculus.  The emphasis is on
    describing the characteristics of the projection and how it is
    used.
	This professional paper, like Bulletin 1532, is also designed
    so that the user can turn directly to the desired projection,
    without reading any other section, in order to study the projection
    under consideration.  However, the list of symbols may be needed
    in any case, and the random-access feature will be enhanced by a
    general understanding of the concepts of projections and
    distortion.  As a result of this intent, there is some repetition
    which will be apparent when the book is read sequentially.
	For the more complicated projections, equations are given in
    the order of usage.  Otherwise, major equations are given first,
    followed by subordinate equations.  When an equation has been
    given previously, it is repeated with the original equation
    number, to avoid the need to leaf back and forth.  Numerical
    examples, however, are placed in appendix A.  It was felt that
    placing these with the formulas would only add to the difficulty
    of reading through the mathematical sections.
	The equations are frequently taken from other credited or
    standard sources, but a number of the equations have been derived
    or rearranged for this publication by the author.  Further
    attention has been given to computer efficiency, for example by
    encouraging the use of nested power series in place of
    multiple-angle series.
	[acknowledgments deleted]
					John P. Snyder''
Rich Thomson	thomson@cs.utah.edu  {bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!thomson
``If everybody is thinking the same thing, is anybody thinking?'' --Bob Johnson

stead@beno.CSS.GOV (Richard Stead) (10/20/90)

In article <1990Oct8.140035.28512@vicorp.com>, earl@vicorp.com (Earl Billingsley) writes:

> I need source and or references for as many map projects as possible.

I recommend _The World in Perspective_ (subtitle: a directory of world map
projections) by F. Canters and H. Decleir, 181pp., John Wiley&Sons, 1989.
It contains a complete mathematical theory of map projections, a classification,
and all the formulae necessary to generate 50 generalized projections.

If only they published the code used to generate the sample maps as well
(sigh...)

Richard Stead
Center for Seismic Studies
Arlington, VA