[comp.graphics] References for NURBS?

cchen@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Chao-Chi Chen) (10/17/90)

I am looking for some references on NURBS (Non-Uniform Rational B-spline Surfaces). Can anyone point me out any direction? Books, magzines, papers, technical
reports.... Thanks!

Charles C. Chen
cchen@enuxha.eas.asu.edu
Computer Science Department
Arizona State University

joerg@cat.uucp (Markus Schichtel) (10/19/90)

Chao-Chi Chen (cchen@enuxha.eas.asu.edu) schrieb am 17.10.:
> I am looking for some references on NURBS (Non-Uniform Rational B-spline Surf
aces). Can anyone point me out any direction? Books, magzines, papers, technica
> reports.... Thanks!
>
> Charles C. Chen
> cchen@enuxha.eas.asu.edu
> Computer Science Department
> Arizona State University

The reference is right there at your campus namely Prof Hans Mittelmann
who is involved in this exciting field of CAGD.I believe he is in the math
dept.

---
  Markus Schichtel (joerg@cat.de)
  C.A.T. Kommunikations-System, Frankfurt

jch@Stardent.COM (Jan Hardenbergh @stardent) (10/24/90)

> From: cchen@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Chao-Chi Chen) >

> I am looking for some references on NURBS (Non-Uniform Rational B-spline
> Surfaces). Can anyone point me out any direction? Books, magzines,
> papers, technical reports.... Thanks!

Foley, van Dam, Feiner and Hughes, Computer Graphics Second Edition,
have 4 pages on NURBS and then point off to other sources.

If you really want to understand NURBS you need to work through splines
and spline surfaces. There are two ( probably many more ) books for this:

Farin, Gerald, Curves and Surfaces for Computer Aided Geometric Design,
Second Edition, 1990, Academic Press, ISBN 0-12-249051-7. This book
covers Rational Bezier and B-spline Surfaces (NURBS) briefly. It has
good bit on rational curves.

The Killer B's book - Bartels, Beatty, Barsky, Introduction to splines
for Use in Computer Graphics & Geometric Modelling, 1987, Morgan Kuafman
Publishers, ISBN 0-934613-27-3. This book does not get to rationals - but
might be worth it to get two views on the basics.

If anyone knows of a paper that explored NURBS from a PHIGS perspective
I'd like to hear about it.

--
-Jan "YON" Hardenbergh - jch@stardent.com                uunet!stardent!jch
Stardent Computer, Inc.,  95 Wells Ave., Newton, MA 02159 (617)964-6228x261