[comp.graphics] Surface surface intersection

tima@agora.uucp (Tim Anderson) (10/25/90)

Hello net!

I was just hunkering down to whack out surface/surface intersections. I
will be doing pretty much exactly like Mortenson describes in his book
_Geometric Modeling_. Are there any references to other fancy dancy and
extremely fast (hee hee!) methods to compute these things? I will be
intersecting NURBS to NURBS, Coons to NURBS and Coons to Coons. Yes,
eventually I will probably convert everything to cubic rational Bezier's,
but I have to get this done before Autofact... Once the conversion to
cubic rational bez's takes place I can take advantage of fun things like
'convex hulls' and 'controlling polygonal meshes' but like I said, I have
to get something done NOW then find a better way to do it!

So, my question is again any references to "The greatest surface surface
intersection routine in the world" that I can replace my hacked Mortenson
code with after Autofact? Thanks!

tima@agora.hf.intel.com

joerg@cat.de (Markus Schichtel) (10/27/90)

+
Tim Anderson (tima@agora.uucp) schrieb am 25.10.:
> Hello net!
>
> I was just hunkering down to whack out surface/surface intersections. I
> will be doing pretty much exactly like Mortenson describes in his book
> _Geometric Modeling_. Are there any references to other fancy dancy and
> extremely fast (hee hee!) methods to compute these things? I will be
> intersecting NURBS to NURBS, Coons to NURBS and Coons to Coons. Yes,
> eventually I will probably convert everything to cubic rational Bezier's,
> but I have to get this done before Autofact... Once the conversion to
> cubic rational bez's takes place I can take advantage of fun things like
> 'convex hulls' and 'controlling polygonal meshes' but like I said, I have
> to get something done NOW then find a better way to do it!
>
> So, my question is again any references to "The greatest surface surface
> intersection routine in the world" that I can replace my hacked Mortenson
> code with after Autofact? Thanks!
>
> tima@agora.hf.intel.com

 Have at look at the following papers:
 Barnhill Farin et alii Surface Surface Intersection Comp.Aided geom.Design
                                                     Vol.4(1987) pp 3-16
 Choi and S Y Ju   Consblending in surface modeling
                                              Comp. Aided geometr. Design 1989

---
  Markus Schichtel (joerg@cat.de)
  C.A.T. Kommunikations-System, Frankfurt