[comp.graphics] Looking for "*", where "*" can be found in a SIGGRAPH :-)

markv@gauss.Princeton.EDU (Mark VandeWettering) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct30.201240.24479@assari.tut.fi> jk87377@assari.tut.fi (Juhana Kouhia) writes:

>Hey, why is z-buffer based program hard to make by yourself?

Well, it is nontrivial, (well, actually, it is mostly trivial, but it requires
nontrivial time) especially if you want a nice efficient/beautiful one, but
the code itself is relatively tight, once you understand the algorithm and
(most importantly) what you are doing.

>How many people out there have made z-buffer based program?

Well, me for one.

>Every year I read many wonderful articles from SIGGRAPH conference
>proceeding, from IEEE CG&A journal, but I have never implemented
>anything directly from papers.
>How common this is?

Hopefully not too common.  Implementing these little hacks keeps us
up to date and makes us understand algorithms better.  I implemented
a couple of the algorithms from this years SIGGRAPH when I got home.
Fun Stuff!  As for Z buffering, look for a graphics gem on scan converting
quadrics that will (keep fingers crossed) make its appearence in the
new Graphics Gems book.

>Have anybody implemented for example Beam Tracer (1984), Path Tracer
>(1987), Spacetime Constraints (1988), REYES type hidden surface
>algorithm; dicing (1987), etc. etc.?

Hey, great ideas.  But, I implemented path tracing (not hard at all if you
already have a raytracer handy).  The others... hmmm..  Beam tracing requires
that nasty Weiler Atherton polygon clipper.  Although I thought you could
implement those nicely using the Naylor-Thibault BSP polygon operations.

Oh heck, who needs sleep?  Where is that terminal at....... :-)

mark
Mark VandeWettering
markv@acm.princeton.edu