[comp.graphics] Colour Expert System

bmacinre@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca (Blair MacIntyre) (11/01/90)

An aquaintance of mine told me that he read an article on an expert
system to aid in colour selection.  I'm very interested in knowing if
such a beast exists, as it relates to my research.

Unfortunately, he cannot remember where he read about it.  If anyone
knows about such a system, please e-mail me any information you might
have, no matter how scarce.  I would be forever gratefull!

Thanks,
  Blair
--
-- Blair MacIntyre, Professional Leech on Society ( aka CS Graduate Student )
-- bmacintyre@{watcgl, violet}.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}

bmacinre@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Oct31.193149.1011@watcgl.waterloo.edu>, I wrote:
> An aquaintance of mine told me that he read an article on an expert
> system to aid in colour selection.  I'm very interested in knowing if
> such a beast exists, as it relates to my research.

Found!

What he had seen was the reference (at the bottom of page 601 in the
new Foley, van Dam, ... ) to "ACE: A color expert system".

I received two pointers:
First,

>The article on using neural nets to pick color sets is in Brenda Laurel's
>great book on Human Interfaces.  I think its called "The Art of Human
>Interface" but it's at home and I'm not sure.  It has a street scene
>on the cover with the sign "Don't Walk" with Don't in red and Walk in green.
>Very funny.  It's paperback and costs $25 US.

The second reference was the one that I refer to above

>If you look at the bottom of page 601 in the new Foley, van Dam, ...
>you'll see a system called ACE (A Color Expert) mentioned with reference
>to a paper

>	B.J. Meier, ACE: A Color Expert System for User Interface Design,
>	Proc. ACM SIGGRAPH Symp. on User Interface Software, Banff, Alberta,
>	October 17-19, 1988, 117-128, ACM Order Number 429881.

I'm posting this because I have received numerous requests for this
info from people.

Thanks.

--
-- Blair MacIntyre, Professional Leech on Society ( aka CS Graduate Student )
-- Computer Graphics Lab, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Waterloo