[comp.graphics] Weather Maps

vmrad@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0048;0000009950;500;737;56;) (11/17/88)

I am interested in viewing current weather maps on a Mac or other
suitable screen.  Is there a source for weather maps in electronic
form?  I am also interested in a source that posts
current satelite images like the TV news people use.  I would like
to download some to view.

Any information from anyone out there would be much appreciated.

mcintyre@rpics (David McIntyre) (11/17/88)

In article <3286@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> vmrad@deneb.ucdavis.edu.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
>I am interested in viewing current weather maps on a Mac or other
>suitable screen.  Is there a source for weather maps in electronic
>form?  I am also interested in a source that posts
>current satelite images like the TV news people use.  I would like
>to download some to view.

For the last several issues, Steve Ciarcia's magazine Circuit Cellar
Ink has been running an extensive home satellite weather package.

They discuss building a special computer, as well as hooking
into various sources of this data.  I am sure that this
information could be used with many different systems.

To find out about CCI, get an issue of Byte and look at the
last paragraph of Steve's article.  There is a BBS number given,
where you can order the mag over the phone.

				-Dave

Dave "mr question" McIntyre     |      "....say you're thinking about a plate
home   : 518-276-5842	        |       of shrimp.....and someone says to
office : 518-276-8633		|	you `plate,' or `shrimp'......"
mcintyre@turing.cs.rpi.edu      |

rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) (11/19/88)

In article <3286@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> vmrad@deneb.ucdavis.edu.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
>I am interested in viewing current weather maps on a Mac or other
>suitable screen.  Is there a source for weather maps in electronic
>form?  I am also interested in a source that posts
>current satelite images like the TV news people use.  I would like
>to download some to view.
>
>Any information from anyone out there would be much appreciated.

Radar percipitation maps for the entire U.S. are available from CompuServe.
These maps are four-color GIF files, and are updated every few hours.
There are other maps available also, mostly geared toward aviation.
These maps are in CompuServe's run-length limited graphics format, I think.
I haven't seen these maps yet, all I have working so far is a GIF
decoder for SCO XENIX.

There are several other commercial data services that offer weather maps,
although all the ones I've found so far require you to run their custom software
under MS-DOS.  When asked if they have software for other operating systems,
they react with amazement: "You mean there are OTHER operating systems?"

Ross Oliver
Technical Support
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
uunet!sco!rosso    rosso@sco.COM

julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) (11/19/88)

In article <3286@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> vmrad@deneb.ucdavis.edu.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
" I am interested in viewing current weather maps on a Mac or other
" suitable screen.  Is there a source for weather maps in electronic
" form?  I am also interested in a source that posts
" ...

Compuserve has areas for color radar maps (GO COLMAPS) and aviation
weather (GO AWX).  The images are downloaded in GIF format.  The
Compuserve Navigator handles this format directly, and is strongly
recommended if you're going to use Compuserve.

--
"Have you ever wondered if taxation without representation was cheaper?"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	julian@riacs.edu

mgardi@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (M.Gardi - ICR) (11/21/88)

>In article <3286@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> vmrad@deneb.ucdavis.edu.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
>>I am interested in viewing current weather maps on a Mac or other
>>suitable screen.  Is there a source for weather maps in electronic
>>form?  I am also interested in a source that posts
>>current satelite images like the TV news people use.  I would like
>>to download some to view.

CompuServe has a weathermap facility - it allows you to download current
weather radar maps of the US in GIF format.  'GO COLMAPS' for more
information.  The cost is something like $0.50 per map + connect charges.

David Rowley
The Mutual Group

childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) (11/22/88)

In article <3286@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> vmrad@deneb.ucdavis.edu.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:

>I am interested in viewing current weather maps on a Mac or other
>suitable screen.  Is there a source for weather maps in electronic
>form?

Last time I checked, the National Weather Service broadcasts weather maps
on some sideband or another for the use of ships at sea. You might be able
to find a ham somewhere who's able to receive these or design a receiver
that would translate it into a bitmap your Mac could eat ...

-- richard

--
*                 Any excuse will serve a tyrant.      -- Aesop               *
*                                                                             *

wrl@wdl51.wdl.fac.com (Bill Lewandowski) (11/03/90)

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get weather
charts (maps) and maybe even satellite pictures over the
Internet via anonymous FTP ????

If they are in any common format I should be able to use
"pbmplus" to convert them to sun bitmaps or postscript.

Please e-mail responces to me.

Thanks,
Bill Lewandowski
--
Bill Lewandowski		LORAL Western Development Labs
(408) 473-4362			Internet: wrl@wdl1.wdl.fac.com

SPSTANZE@MTUS5.BITNET (11/04/90)

      There is a ftp site named vmd.cso.uiuc.edu that has weather maps in gif
format.  There in the directory phil.515

      They post several views of the western US. and one eastern view daily.