[comp.graphics] State Maps

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (10/29/90)

A friend of mine is looking for map outline data.  He needs state and
county boundaries of Pennsylvania and New York.  Rivers, towns, and
other major features would also be a plus.

Can anyone offer us a pointer to how to find such data.  It will
eventually end up being used internally by a company, probably printed
by Ventura Publisher or something.

EMAIL appreciated, since I don't usually read this (no doubt interesting 8-)
group.

      thanks, lee

Mark_Stephen_Zaller@cup.portal.com (11/01/90)

The USGS sells a very nice Optical CD ROM with all 50 states that includes
counties, rivers, streams, water bodies, major roads and railroads.
The disk seems to have about ~100 megs of data with  I believe 3 different
types of data files. A PC demo program will allow you to graphically
look at the data you are interested in, and there is on-disk documentation for
the file formats.

I bought my disk for $28 from the USGS office in Menlo Park.

You can also get the disk by calling the Reston, Virginia office: 800-USA-MAPS.
The disk is called: 1:2,000,000 scale  Digitial Line Graph (DLG) Data.

Mark Zaller
Air Venture, Palo Alto, CA
Remote Sensing and Analysis

hjp@usenet.umr.edu (Hardy J. Pottinger) (11/06/90)

In article <35443@cup.portal.com> Mark_Stephen_Zaller@cup.portal.com writes:
>The USGS sells a very nice Optical CD ROM with all 50 states that includes
>I bought my disk for $28 from the USGS office in Menlo Park.
>You can also get the disk by calling the Reston, Virginia office: 800-USA-MAPS.
>The disk is called: 1:2,000,000 scale  Digitial Line Graph (DLG) Data.
The Data User Services Division of the Bureau of the Census also has
data on CD-ROM (TSO standard format) that is derived from USGS
1:100,000 map data and may be a bit more 'object oriented' than USGS
files.  Call (301) 763-4100 for more info or they have a BBS at
(301) 763-1568.  I have some old ancient census data that's fairly
small (only a few meg) but is not in any standard coordinate system
that I'm aware of and isn't much good for anything but drawing state
outlines.
--Hardy Pottinger, hjp@ee.umr.edu