[comp.graphics] Foley, van Dam, etc., Bug List

icsds@ming.cs.montana.edu (Denbigh Starkey) (10/25/90)

I have the official bug list for F, vD, F & H edition 2 with several
hundred errors, but it clearly isn't complete.

(a) Will updates automatically be sent to all of the people who downloaded
the bug list from graphtext@cs.brown.edu?

(b) Where do we report additional errors?  (e.g. Exercise 5.3, which was
also incorrect in edition 1; Equations 11.88 and 11.89, which get mixed
up; Figure 12.1, whose RHS doesn't match the coordinates given.)

Denbigh S.
starkey@caesar.cs.montana.edu, starkey@mtsunix1.bitnet

dbc@cs.brown.edu (Brook Conner) (10/26/90)

FYI, I'm currently handling the graphtext@cs.brown.edu account while
the SRGP/SPHIGS author is out of the country on business.

In Message-ID: <2748@dali>, icsds@ming.cs.montana.edu (Denbigh Starkey), says:

[stuff]
> (a) Will updates automatically be sent to all of the people who downloaded
> the bug list from graphtext@cs.brown.edu?

No. It has been updated once since I've started monitoring, by Feiner on
October 16, 1990.. If your list of text bugs has a date earlier than that,
you can get the very latest copy by mailing graphtext@cs.brown.edu with
"get-text-bug-list"  in the subject line.

> (b) Where do we report additional errors?  (e.g. Exercise 5.3, which was
> also incorrect in edition 1; Equations 11.88 and 11.89, which get mixed
> up; Figure 12.1, whose RHS doesn't match the coordinates given.)

If you believe you have an as yet unreported bug in the text or the software,
please get the current bug list first (either get-text-bug-list or
get-software-bug-list), then mail graphtext@cs.brown.edu with either
report-text-bug or report-software-bug in the Subject: line.

--
Brook Conner		| Klacktoveedsedstene
Brown Computer Graphics	| Fortune sez: Brook's Law -- Adding manpower to a late

p_davis@epik.enet.dec.com (Peter Davis) (11/06/90)

Is there a second printing of this book planned, with these errors corrected?

Thanks.
-pd

jfh@cs.brown.edu (John Forbes Hughes) (11/07/90)

In article <16984@shlump.nac.dec.com> p_davis@epik.enet.dec.com (Peter Davis) writes:

>Is there a second printing of this book planned, with these errors corrected?
>
>Thanks.
>-pd

There has been a second printing done. Many of the bugs on the bug list have
been corrected in this printing. Of course, many of the bugs were discovered
after the second printing went to press (alas). We regret this, but will update
the list to indicate whether each bug appears in the first printing, the
second, or both.

-John Hughes

(By the way, Feiner and I prefer that the book be given its full list of
authors :-); neither of us is very good at being an "etc." )