[comp.graphics] Ques: PHIGS on X; FIGARO

chan@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Tak-Yuen Melinda Chan) (11/06/90)

I have a question on PHIGS on X and I ask for your help.

Background:
I want to port a software which is written in APOLLO GMR and Dialog run under
DOMAIN/AEGIS environment to PHIGS/X/MOTIF run under SCO UNIX (in 486 plateform).
And I found out that there is a PHIGS version called "FIGARO" that run on
APOLLO and 386 plateform claim they can provide me such an environment (PHIGS on
X).
However, after I have evaluated it for one week, my impression about FIGARO is
very "shaky" in many ways.

Question:

(1) Is there anyone of you have experience using FIGARO ? Please evaluate this
    software.

(2) I am going to have a training on using FIGARO on 11/13, what question should
    I ask them concerning PHIGS on X ? (In other words, what are the critical
     functionalities that FIGARO must have to provide PHIGS on X.)

I'll be very appreciate if anyone of you can provide me information on FIGARO
and PHIGS on X because I am neither an expert on PHIGS nor on X.

marbru@attc.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov5.160458.11018@cs.umn.edu> chan@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Tak-Yuen Melinda Chan) writes:
>I have a question on PHIGS on X and I ask for your help.
>
>Background:
>I want to port a software which is written in APOLLO GMR and Dialog run under

   FIGARO running on X on Apollo....is "shaky" ???

   First of all, what version of X on Apollo are you running ?
   The currently shipping "X" from Apollo (their "shared mode" server)
   based on X11R2 (with some add-ons adn patches towards R3) is S L  O   W.
   It is even slower than most X terminals today - going from GPR or GMR
   you can expect 10 fold degradation or more.
   However, if you run the MIT X11R4 server, things may get better -).
   Or, if (and when) Apollo delivers their R4 based server, it may get
   even better -).

   I haven't done too much with FIGARO, so I can't comment on FIGARO,
   but I am sure that underlying Apollo's X can make you feel that it
   is an underdog.
   No, I am not pushing FIGARO - just that it may not be the one to blame.

--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky [BORN TO BASH UIL]                  marbru@auto-trol.COM