[comp.graphics] Info on L-systems wanted

josef@nixdorf.de (Moellers) (11/05/90)

Hi,
In "Circuit Cellar INK" there was an article on Fractals which referred
to L-systems (L stands for Lindenmayer).
In this system, (veeeery) long character strings are generated using a
so-called "axiom" (e.g. "G") and one or more production rules (e.g.
"G" -> "GFX(+G)(-G)" -and- "X" -> "X(-FFF)(+FFF)FX").
If You apply these rules one or more times, and interpret the generated
string properly, You can generated quite natural looking plants.

My question is on the "properly".
The article says:
	"Here, F represents a graphically drawn line and each + or - is
	used to specify a change in the orientation for the drawing of
	the next line segment"
But ... how do I interpret the "G"s and "X"s? Or are they just
"nonterminals" that must be ignored when interpreting the result?
What about the parentheses?

--
| Josef Moellers		| c/o Siemens Nixdorf Informatonssysteme AG |
|  USA: mollers.pad@nixdorf.com	| Abt. PXD-S14				    |

thomson@cs.utah.edu (Rich Thomson) (11/06/90)

I think the defacto reference on L-systems will become:

    _The Algorithmic Beauty of Plants_,
    Premizlaw Prusinkeveic (probably spelled wrong, sorry PP! ;-)

This was just published this year by Springer-Verlag and is written by
one of the most authoritative researchers into L-systems (IMHO) since
Lindenmayer.

						-- Rich
Rich Thomson	thomson@cs.utah.edu  {bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!thomson
``If everybody is thinking the same thing, is anybody thinking?'' --Bob Johnson

elf@dgp.toronto.edu (Eugene Fiume) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov5.182451.3591@hellgate.utah.edu> thomson@cs.utah.edu (Rich Thomson) writes:
>I think the defacto reference on L-systems will become:
>
>    _The Algorithmic Beauty of Plants_,
>    Premizlaw Prusinkeveic (probably spelled wrong, sorry PP! ;-)

     Przemyslaw Prusinkiewicz (I believe)

>This was just published this year by Springer-Verlag and is written by
>one of the most authoritative researchers into L-systems (IMHO) since
>Lindenmayer.

If by "defacto reference" you mean the application of L-systems to the visual
modelling of plants, you're probably right (no disrespect intended).  Don't
overlook the fact that L-systems have a well-established theory with
applications to many areas.  For the basic theory, see the badly-titled book:

Arto Salomaa, _Jewels of Formal Language Theory_, Computer Science Press,
Rockville, Maryland, 1981.

The cast of characters who have worked on the theoretical structure of
L-systems is large and formidable.
--
Eugene Fiume, Dynamic Graphics Project
Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto

jones@skorpio.Usask.ca (W. Jones) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov6.105225.22702@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> elf@dgp.toronto.edu (Eugene Fiume) writes:
>In article <1990Nov5.182451.3591@hellgate.utah.edu> thomson@cs.utah.edu (Rich Thomson) writes:
>>I think the defacto reference on L-systems will become:
>>    _The Algorithmic Beauty of Plants_,
>>    Przemyslaw Prusinkiewicz
>>This was just published this year by Springer-Verlag and is written by
>>one of the most authoritative researchers into L-systems (IMHO) since
>>Lindenmayer.
>
>If by "defacto reference" you mean the application of L-systems to the visual
>modelling of plants, you're probably right (no disrespect intended).  Don't
>overlook the fact that L-systems have a well-established theory with
>applications to many areas.  For the basic theory, see the badly-titled book:
>
>Arto Salomaa, _Jewels of Formal Language Theory_, Computer Science Press,
>Rockville, Maryland, 1981.

Prusinkiewicz isn't connected to Usenet and asked that I mention a few
things.

It should be remembered that the late Aristid Lindenmayer is a co-author
of the plant book.  (ISBN 0-387-97297-8, BTW).

Salomaa's book covers L-systems to some extent but there are also two
monographs devoted solely to the topic:

- G. Herman and G. Rozenberg.  Developmental systems and languages, North-
  Holland, Amsterdam 1975.
- G. Rozenberg and A. Salomaa.  The mathematical theory of L-systems,
  Academic Press, New York 1980, ISBN 0-125-97140-0.

There is also a collection of papers, published on the occasion of
Lindenmayer's 60th birthday, which survey the current status of the
field:

- G. Rozenberg and A. Salomaa, eds.  The book of L, Springer-Verlag,
  New York 1985, ISBN 0-387-16022-1.