[net.cooks] Electric vs Gas

richp@orca.UUCP (Richard Philofsky) (03/01/85)

We remodelled our kitchen recently and researched various possibilities.

We ended up with a gas stove from Thermidor which featured an electric
grill/griddle. Many other stoves offered a grill/griddle which called
for two of the existing burners to be used(Jenn-air). Other gas stoves
use a gas griddle /grill which uses one standard round gas burner which
gives uneven heat. The electric element in the Thermidor is a snake
shape which does provide relatively even heat. The griddle is a tephlon
type material which seems to be holding up, but replacements are $50.
The whole surface does pick up conveniently for cleaning.

The Thermidor also comes with one super burner which is significantly larger
then normal size ones. This comes in handy for heating large amounts of
water for pasta.

The Thermidor also has a popup vent. A pushbutton control raises
and lowers the vent. It allows the motor which blows to be placed some
distance away in the basement which makes the vent alot quieter. It
is gimmicky and the stove can be ordered without the popup vent.

We have had no problems so far so we don't have any experience with
service.

For oven we wanted electric for self-cleaning feature, which gas
cannot do.

Also, I like gadgets and looked for ovens which offer microprocessor
control. Something with the intelligence of my $12.00 digital wrist
alarm watch. THERE WAS NOTHING!!! In fact I could not find one which used
a digital clock. All used the wheels of digits you only see in reruns
of Star Trek. Time to market for ovens must be several years.

I settled for a Jenn-air which has a combination conventional/convectional
electric oven. It also has an electric probe which you can put in an
item you are cooking and set an internal temperature. The cooking stops
and a bell goes off when the temperature is reached. I find this very
covenient. By turning down the temperature setting until the bell rings you
can determine the internal temperature.

Anyone tried Cuisanart's mixer attachment? I saw it advertised for
about $30.00. I think the problem would be lack of available air if
the top isn't wide open like regular mixers. This is the problem when
using a Cuisanart with steel blade to whip eggs or cream.

"Only those who can discard the recipe once the meal is cooked, are
truly worthy of pursuing knowledge."

richp

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (03/05/85)

In article <1377@orca.UUCP> richp@orca.UUCP (Richard Philofsky) writes:
>Also, I like gadgets and looked for ovens which offer microprocessor
>control. Something with the intelligence of my $12.00 digital wrist
>alarm watch. THERE WAS NOTHING!!! In fact I could not find one which used
>a digital clock. All used the wheels of digits you only see in reruns
>of Star Trek. Time to market for ovens must be several years.

Did you ever consider the fact that it tends to get quite hot in the
immediate vicinity of an oven?  The self-cleaning cycle would probably
fry a "chip" if it was sitting where stove clocks sit.  I'm sure there's
a good reason they stick with the "old reliable" mechanical methods,
after all, microwave ovens certainly have gone the micro route, so it's
not like stove manufacturers don't use them where they can.

--
=Spencer
	({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)

joeloda@aicchi.UUCP (Joseph D. Loda) (03/09/85)

In article <1377@orca.UUCP> richp@orca.UUCP (Richard Philofsky) writes:
>We remodelled our kitchen recently and researched various possibilities.
>  .
>  .
>For oven we wanted electric for self-cleaning feature, which gas
>cannot do.

On the contrary.  Caloric makes several self-cleaning gas ranges, albeit
limited to the most popular (30 inch) size.  We own a Caloric RSD354, and are
very happy with it.  Caloric seems to have made some engineering advances
recently that get around the old bug-a-boo of very small ovens in self-
cleaning gas ranges.
--
Joe Loda
Analysts International (Chicago Branch)