[comp.graphics] NCAR 3.0 and contours

angel@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jim Angel) (11/15/90)

Does anybody have a program using NCAR Graphics 3.0 that will take
irregularly spaced data (located by latitude and longitude) and contour
it and overlay it on a map of the U.S?  I used to do this on earlier versions
of NCAR graphics using the calls SUPMAP and CONRAN.  However, I would
like to update my program to take advantage of new features (like
shading).  From the new manuals I have, this is a rather convoluted process
and would require a lot more fortran code to get running.  If someone
else has this program then I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel.
I am dismayed that it now requires heroic effort to get NCAR graphics
to do, IMHO, such a basic task.  Oh well, that's progress.  Please
send e-mail to:  angel@reepicheep.sws.uiuc.edu

pvo@sapphire.OCE.ORST.EDU (Paul O'Neill) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov15.153425.9918@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> angel@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jim Angel) writes:

>Does anybody have a program using NCAR Graphics 3.0 that will take
>irregularly spaced data (located by latitude and longitude) and contour
>it and overlay it on a map of the U.S?

And I just want the gridder....

        "This first release of CONPACK does not include the ability to
        contour random data--something that will be included in the
        Version 4.00 release.  If you have random data, we suggest that
        you use the BIVAR utility to interpolate from the random data
        to gridded data, and then use CONPACK to produce your
        contours.  BIVAR is public domain software and is included on
        the NCAR Graphics Version 3.00 distribution tape.  It is
        documented internally; no printed documentation is provided.
        For information on how to access the BIVAR documentation from
        the tape, see you NCAR Graphics site representative."

RIGHT!  Where is it?  I found this paragraph 3 times in the docs, but can't
find the bivar program.  Did they forget to put it on the tape?

Any pointers?  Netlib?  Archives?  An obscure ncarg subdirectory?

Thanks.

Paul O'Neill                 pvo@oce.orst.edu		DoD 000006
Coastal Imaging Lab
OSU--Oceanography
Corvallis, OR  97331         503-737-3251

unix307@ut-emx.uucp (H.J.Chang) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov16.055125.13209@scion.CS.ORST.EDU> pvo@sapphire.OCE.ORST.EDU (Paul O'Neill) writes:
>In article <1990Nov15.153425.9918@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> angel@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jim Angel) writes:
>>
>>Does anybody have a program using NCAR Graphics 3.0 that will take
>>irregularly spaced data (located by latitude and longitude) and contour
>>it and overlay it on a map of the U.S?
>
>And I just want the gridder....

	(some message deleted)

>        contours.  BIVAR is public domain software and is included on
>        the NCAR Graphics Version 3.00 distribution tape.  It is
>        documented internally; no printed documentation is provided.
                    ^^^^^^^^^^
>        For information on how to access the BIVAR documentation from
>        the tape, see you NCAR Graphics site representative."

>RIGHT!  Where is it?  I found this paragraph 3 times in the docs, but can't
>find the bivar program.  Did they forget to put it on the tape?

	(message and sig. deleted)

I hope this is not what INTERNALLY means.  But you could take a
look of the source of an example program named "cbex01.f".  It's
PURPOSE states:

      To provide a simple demonstration of the use of BIVAR and
      CONPACK together as a temporary replacement for CONRAN.

It should be in the subdirectory like ncar/ncarg2d/src/examples/emisc/
if the original source was unpacked on a UNIX machine.  Good luck!

PS: I'm gonna start using this bivar routine very soon.  If this is
not the right one, would someone please drop me a note?  Thanks.

Shane (h.j.) Chang           shane@slave.ae.utexas.edu
                             unix307@emx.utexas.edu