[comp.graphics] RE Copyright status of rotoscoping

889042a@darwin.ntu.edu.au (11/19/90)

Re: Use of film images for animation

Copyright Associations are currently fighting the use of "mixing"
within the music industry. This involves using only 3 to 4 seconds
of other artists' music to create a new song. As at the present time,
I am unaware of any precedent in this area. However, courts appear to
be taking a liberal view over what constitutes an `infringement' of
copyright. It may well be that you will soon have to pay royalties
for the use of bygone footage!

			Xcacorp

brindley@ECE.ORST.EDU (Mike Brindley) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov19.171451.376@darwin.ntu.edu.au> 889042a@darwin.ntu.edu.au writes:
>Re: Use of film images for animation
>
>Copyright Associations are currently fighting the use of "mixing"
>within the music industry. This involves using only 3 to 4 seconds
>of other artists' music to create a new song. As at the present time,
>I am unaware of any precedent in this area. However, courts appear to
>be taking a liberal view over what constitutes an `infringement' of
>copyright. It may well be that you will soon have to pay royalties
>for the use of bygone footage!
>

>			Xcacorp

An English group called The Jam put out an album in 1987 which included
lots of sampled bits of others music, including ABBA.  The Swedish
conglomerate (ABBA) sued and won.  The Jam had to burn all unsold
copies of that album.  They later re-released the album without the
ABBA samples and included instructions on how to recreate the
originals!  I don't know in what country the legal action took place.

     --> Mike Brindley
	 brindley@ece.orst.edu