[net.cooks] I <club> Joy of Cooking

nax@cornell.UUCP (03/03/85)

From: nax (Nax-Paul)

[Is there no joy in mudpies?]

I, too, enjoy taking the strap to *JoC*  :-)

I find it just too *white-bread*, saying things such as
[In the recipe for Curried Rice (?)]:
	"Its popularity is undoubtedly due to the restraint
	with which the spice is used."
I don't know about you, that makes me want to present the authors
with a flying cream pie (p. 609).

They also have more recipes that use muskrat than miso,
but that's part of the white-bread syndrome.

				As nominated by Bob Dole,
				and formerly of Commie Martyrs H.S.,
				Nax-Paul

billw@Navajo.ARPA (03/08/85)

> I, too, enjoy taking the strap to *JoC*  :-)
>
> I find it just too *white-bread*, saying things such as
> [In the recipe for Curried Rice (?)]:
> 	"Its popularity is undoubtedly due to the restraint
> 	with which the spice is used."

I still recomend Joy of Cooking to people.  In general, the
recipies in JoC are only mediocre (though frequently a good
place to start experimenting) - If you find something in JoC
that looks or tastes interesting, you are best off finding
another specialty cookbook with anoteher recipe.

However, JoC is easilly worth its price (last copy I bought
was only $11 for the hardback!) for just the "information"
sections and definitions and (i dont beleive someone complained
about) the cross-references!

BillW

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (03/10/85)

> I still recomend Joy of Cooking to people.  In general, the
> recipies in JoC are only mediocre (though frequently a good
> place to start experimenting) - If you find something in JoC
> that looks or tastes interesting, you are best off finding
> another specialty cookbook with anoteher recipe.
>
> However, JoC is easilly worth its price (last copy I bought
> was only $11 for the hardback!) for just the "information"
> sections and definitions and (i dont beleive someone complained
> about) the cross-references!
>
> BillW

	I like Joy of Cooking too. It's a great reference for new brides
and college students. After all, how many other cookbooks explain  how to
boil an egg ? It also tells how to make tofu, cottage cheese, and alot of
other very basic things. The recipes are not necessarily great, but they
provide a good base for experimentation. I haven't followed a JofC recipe
exactly in about 10 years, but I often refer to it when I want to make
something and need to get an idea of the appropriate proportions. I have
lots of other cookbooks for specialty items, including "The NY Times 60
Minute Cookbook" (which is GREAT), but I wouldn't give away my JofC.

--

jcpatilla

"'Get stuffed !', the Harlequin replied ..."