[comp.graphics] Unusual Problems with 1024x768 Non-Interlaced Ope

osmoviita@cc.helsinki.fi (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov19.131423.1@vaxr.llnl.gov>, noring@vaxr.llnl.gov writes:
> I am presently experiencing difficulties in getting my pc to correctly
> display 1024x768 non-interlaced (both 16 and 256 colors).  What happens
> is that the image is "snowy", that is, there's a lot of the pixels that
> are blinking on and off (I don't know the percentage doing this, but
> it doesn't take many to make the picture look bad).  I don't have any
> problems if I run the system in interlaced mode (done simply by toggling
> a switch on the video board), or if I run at a resolution of 800x600
> or lower (either interlaced or non-interlaced).  Here's a detailed
> description of the components:
>
> Mother board:  Omnitel 386-33
> Video board :  Orchid Pro-Designer II with 1 Mb.
> Monitor     :  Sony  (I don't remember the number (?1304), but it's the new
>                       one that is capable of 1024x768 non-interlaced operation).
> .......(cut)
> Jon Noring

I had similar problems with Orchid ProDesigner VGA Plus. I don' know if it
looks exactly the same but I'll guess it was about 10 to 1000 pixels doing
dynamic noise. May be that they just altered between black and proper
colors. It didn't come until a month or some months. It appeared most severe
when hard disk reads were done, but also when no reads were occurring. I
changed the card and it was OK a month or some months again. Then I changed
a new card again and it has been OK over a year. So look the hard disk. If
you can disconnect it (from power) and test using only floppy disk. Then think
if you has big enough power in your system. And have you been careful to
connect or disconnect your monitor cables or your orchid when  power is off
and everything grounded. Perhaps they break easily. Try still a new card!

Kari Osmoviita