[comp.graphics] Profession Super VHS

jal@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) (11/20/90)

I'm working for a company that is currently interested in purchasing
video equipment necessary to create educational videos.  Most of the
images that are to be recorded are computer generated (using an Amiga
and the video toaster).

One computer store that has their own video suite has suggested the 2
Hitachi S100 (Super VHS) video decks and an EC10 controller. How do
these compare with other systems (like Panasonic) in terms of cost,
features and quality? The price they gave us was about $3000 for each
deck and $1500 for the controller.  How do these prices compare to
other systems of comparable features and quality? Or am I getting
ripped off for the Hitachi's?

There was a mention that in order to properly connect the video
toaster to the vcr a time base corrector would also be needed.
Evidently the Hitachi had it built in.

Any comments would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Jason Leigh
jal@cs.wayne.edu
(Video Vita)
--
:^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) ;^)   O^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^:
:^)  Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins.		  (^:

--

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov20.152315.6702@cs.wayne.edu> jal@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) writes:
>Most of the images that are to be recorded are computer generated
>(using an Amiga and the video toaster).
>
>One computer store that has their own video suite has suggested the 2
>Hitachi S100 (Super VHS) video decks and an EC10 controller. There was
>a mention that in order to properly connect the video
>toaster to the vcr a time base corrector would also be needed.
>Evidently the Hitachi had it built in.

Yes, the Toaster requires TBC'ed input from any VCR. However, if you merely
plan on recording computer generated images, the TBC is unnecessary.
Also note that if you do plan on using BOTH VCRs as input to the Toaster
simultaneously, they will have to be frame synchronized. Your basic
infinite window TBC will do this for you. However, I don't know if
the TBCs in the new VCRs are infinite window. I believe they merely
correct for a single scanline. This is sufficient to stabilize the
output for feeding the Toaster, but insufficient for frame synchronization
of two sources. Check with Hitachi to find out if it buffers a full
frame or just a scanline.
|  Mark Thompson                                                           |
|  mark@westford.ccur.com                                                  |
|  ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark   Designing high performance graphics  |
|  (508)392-2480                      engines today for a better tomorrow. |