[comp.graphics] Stereo slide viewers

olson@vixvax.mgi.com (Thor Olson) (11/27/90)

You know those stereo slide viewers like the ones packaged with the
SIGGRAPH sample 3D stereo slide sets?  Where can I get a supply of
them?

Thor Olson
Management Graphics Inc
1401 E 79 St Minneapolis MN 55425
(612) 851 6108
olson@mgi.com

foo@erfordia.rice.edu (Mark Hall) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov26.234959.471@vixvax.mgi.com> olson@vixvax.mgi.com (Thor Olson) writes:
)
)You know those stereo slide viewers like the ones packaged with the
)SIGGRAPH sample 3D stereo slide sets?  Where can I get a supply of
)them?

   This was posted in Aug. 89:

Try REEL 3D Enterprises in Culver City, CA.  Their phone number is
213-837-2368.  Ask for a catalog...it's full of lots of fun 3D-related
items.

As far as viewers go, we've found that the "SV1" (Stock # 2001 in my
1986 catalog) viewers (also called "realist format" viewers) are the
easiest to view, in part because the slides can be moved around side
to side in their track to adjust for different interocular spacings.
Tape is necessary to keep the slides in position once you are happy,
though.  These viewers are also the cheapest ($3-4) of the plastic
ones.  We routinely order a bunch.

The "pinsharp" viewers (#2004) present a larger image and are
flexible so the human viewer can adjust for his or her interocular
spacing quickly.  However, the lenses used in these viewers have some
distortion towards their edges.  These views are a more expensive
($9-10).  Worth trying, though.

Finally, the "TV1" viewer (#2002) seems to be too wide for most normal
human beings.  Ours tend to sit in their box, unused.  As usual, you
interocular may vary.

All these viewers are "put up to a light" viewers, not active
illumination viewers.  Ask the REEL 3D people about the best
self-lighting viewers.

                                        Michael Halle
                                        Spatial Imaging Group
                                        MIT Media Laboratory

  - mark

musgrave-forest@cs.yale.edu (F. Ken Musgrave) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov27.150511.9062@rice.edu> foo@erfordia.rice.edu (Mark Hall) writes:

>Try REEL 3D Enterprises in Culver City, CA.  Their phone number is
>213-837-2368.  Ask for a catalog...it's full of lots of fun 3D-related
>items.

  I ordered one of each of the 3 viewers offered by this outfit.  They are
not the same!  In fact, different individuals favor different viewers, for
differing reasons.  I heartily recommend that you get one of each, and choose
for yourself.

  As I have lost track of which goes by which name, so I can't state my own
preference (which is quite strong!)

							Ken
--
		The Fundamental Dilemma of Existentialism:

	Eschew obfuscation.			Ignore alien orders.