[net.cooks] Bad recipes in Joy of Cooking!

mogul@Shasta.ARPA (03/06/85)

> The Joy of Cooking has a lot of useful information in it, but I have to
> agree with somebody's characterization of it (I forget who) that it was
> "too white bread". Another example of what is wrong with JofC is the
> absolutely awful cheesecake recipe. There are three different cheesecake
> recipes in JofC, and all of them are to cheesecake what velveeta is to
> cheese.

I'll add my praise of JofC as a useful reference, but it pays to
apply some common sense when using the recipes.

For example, I make "Brownies Cockaigne" fairly often, and get
good results.  One day, one of my housemates decided to make a
batch, and read the recipe out of my 2-volume paperbound edition.
(For some reason, I had always used an older, hardbound edition.)
Unfortunately, a minor typographical error had crept in, and she
blindly followed the recipe.

The effects of 2.5 cups of butter on a single batch of brownies
are left to the reader's imagination.

eac@drutx.UUCP (CveticEA) (03/09/85)

I have found that any cooking out of a cookbook requires some adjustment
for personal taste.  For example, in Joy the recipe for Beef Bourgonion
(sp?) calls for a substantial amount of salt pork, and does not require
removing any of the fat.  The result, if the recipe is stricly followed, is
a half inch of grease on top of the stew.  There is a note that says butter
can be substituted but you won't achieve the same "subtle" flavor.  I see
nothing subtle about a half inch of grease.  I use a small amount of
butter!

Besides all of this, I wouldn't part with my Joy of Cooking book.  I have
had  many more successes with it than failures and I never let a recipe
interfere with my own taste and judgement.

Betsy Cvetic
ihnp4!drutx!eac

gary@rochester.UUCP (Gary Cottrell) (03/09/85)

In article <3590@Shasta.ARPA> mogul@Shasta.ARPA writes:
>I'll add my praise of JofC as a useful reference, but it pays to
>apply some common sense when using the recipes.
>
>For example, I make "Brownies Cockaigne" fairly often, and get
>good results.  One day, one of my housemates decided to make a
>batch, and read the recipe out of my 2-volume paperbound edition.
>(For some reason, I had always used an older, hardbound edition.)
>Unfortunately, a minor typographical error had crept in, and she
>blindly followed the recipe.
>
>The effects of 2.5 cups of butter on a single batch of brownies
>are left to the reader's imagination.
My friend Diane Litman made the recipe this way, and I loved it!
Us milkfat cravers really like that particular typo! (It helps to
keep them refridgerated; they don't "run" as much that way!

gary cottrell

mogul@Shasta.ARPA (03/15/85)

> I have found that any cooking out of a cookbook requires some adjustment
> for personal taste.  For example, in Joy the recipe for Beef Bourgonion
> (sp?) calls for a substantial amount of salt pork, and does not require
> removing any of the fat.  The result, if the recipe is stricly followed, is
> a half inch of grease on top of the stew.  There is a note that says butter
> can be substituted but you won't achieve the same "subtle" flavor.  I see
> nothing subtle about a half inch of grease.  I use a small amount of
> butter!

The recipe in "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" has you skim the
fat off the top of the sauce after everything has cooked for a while.
Curiously, though, the other two recipes that I found (James Beard
and Craig Claiborne) use even more fat, and do not call for skimming.
So it's probably a matter of taste, rather than error.

The kind of fat varies, too: Julia Child specifies bacon, if I recall
correctly.