[comp.graphics] presentation graphics

zu@ethz.UUCP (02/10/87)

[No food for line eaters]

     I'm looking for a book describing the principles of presentation graphics.
It should explain the following topics:

	- what methods exist for presenting numbers and relationships
	  between numbers?
	- how should I present life-cycles? (I hope you understand what I mean)
	- what presentation technics are best for a fast overview?
	- what should we use presentation graphics for. Are there some outputs,
	  which should be displayed in the conventional list format (besides
	  of exact numbers, of course). Are there even other methods?
	- what about colors?

Our task ist, to add graphics to a program which produces a lot of paper with
even more numbers. All the forms look alike but they all differ in some points.
The graphics give us a rough overview and should help to make decisions. But
it's not as sophisticated as a decision support system.

	Best thanks for any pointers,

		...urs

UUCP: ...!seismo!mcvax!cernvax!ethz!zu

waynec@hpsrlc.UUCP (02/13/87)

/ hpsrlc:comp.graphics / zu@ethz.UUCP (Urs Zurbuchen) /  3:08 am  Feb 10, 1987 /
> I'm looking for a book describing the principles of presentation graphics.
> It should explain the following topics:

Tufte, Edward R., "The Visual Displa of Quantitative Information", Graphics
     Press, Cheshire, Connecticut, 1983.

This is an excellent book that covers most of the areas you asked about.
It is definitely NOT a computer-oriented book, but then a computer-orientation
is probably a sure-file way to mess up a USER interface!

--Wayne Cannon
  {...hpcea!}hpsrla!waynec
  (telnet) 577-3631
  (telco) (707)-577-3631

ben@hpldolm.UUCP (02/14/87)

[ I don't know how to reach you via e-mail, so...]

Could you please forward a list of the replies that you get, or
post them?

Benjamin Ellsworth
USA (303)590-5849
hplabs!hpldola!ben

rab@alice.UUCP (02/16/87)

In article <447@ethz.UUCP>, zu@ethz.UUCP writes:
> I'm looking for a book describing the principles of presentation graphics.

One excellent text that describes the principles involved in making
good graphs is:

	The Elements of Graphing Data
	William S. Cleveland
	Wadsworth Advanced Books and Software
	Monterey, California, 1985
	ISBN 0-534-03729-1

It has numerous examples of good graphs, a discussion
of graphical perception, and an extensive section giving
principles and techniques of graph construction.
--

    Rick Becker  alice!rab  research!rab

jgymp@houxa.UUCP (J.YINGLING) (06/17/88)

						      June 16, 1988

       Presentation Graphics Users:

       I am looking for	someone	who has	experience in using a
       business	graphic	package	such as	Show Partner, PC
       Storyboard, Harvard Graphics, PC	Paintbrush, etc.  I am in
       the process of purchasing a package but don't know what
       features	are critical and which are optional.  From what	I
       have read SHOW PARTNER 3.0 is the best package but it is
       also the	cheapest.  What	is it missing?

       John Yingling
       (201) 576-2942
       houxa!jgymp

Matt_Carl_Mossholder@cup.portal.com (06/19/88)

	I personally prefer GRASP by Paul Mace Software. It has a complete
support for all standard IBM graphics adapters and it also supports a
few others, like Hercules and I believe the BoB board. It has a friendlier
interface and has a range of extrenal utilities supplied by the author. These
utilities are availible on the Author's BBS which is listed in the manual.
It also handles .PCX format pictures, so older pictures are transferable.

Matt Mossholder - Through the Portal Gateway
_   /|
\'o.O'
=(___)=
ACK! PHHT!

Standard Disclaimer: My words are my own opinions and therefore have the utmost significance in my mind if not yours!

tvillan@hpccc.HP.COM (Tim Villanueva) (06/21/88)

>      I am looking for someone who has	experience in using a
>      business	graphic	package	such as	Show Partner, PC
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>      Storyboard, Harvard Graphics, PC	Paintbrush, etc.  I am in
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>      the process of purchasing a package but don't know what
>      features	are critical and which are optional.  From what	I
>      have read SHOW PARTNER 3.0 is the best package but it is
>      also the	cheapest.  What	is it missing?

Contradiction in terms......

Anyway, the packages you list here do some completely different things.
Do you need charting?
Do you need plotter support, camera? color?
When looking at a review, reading "xxx" package is best doesn't mean
much.  Buy according to your needs.

Do you wan't to do nice text, nice fonts, etc?  do you have a mouse?
Do you need fancy chart types.  Do you have much money?

I would avoid Rastar Paint programs like PC Paintbrush for Business
Graphics.  I have a bias opinion when it comes to *real* business
graphics so I won't suggest anything.  Let us know (or e-mail me)
on what you get and how you like it.  I am VERY interested.

       Tim V
       tvillan%hpccc@hplabs.hp.com

ken@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Ken Rossman) (12/05/90)

I'm looking for a (hopefully PD) graphics tool that will allow me to create
presentation graphics, most specifically text in large, filled-font
characters.  I need to photograph directly off the screen (for a slide
presentation), so the larger the better (i.e. less jaggies to deal with).

Looking for color X-based tools, or alternatively, anything that can dump
large font text and perhaps some simple graphics (boxes and other shapes)
directly into the raw Sun frame buffer (e.g. cg4 type 8-bit color).

Please reply directly and I will summarize.  Thanks.

Ken Rossman
Network Planning Group
Computer Center                 ken@columbia.edu
Columbia University             ken@cumin.bitnet
212-854-4876                    uunet!columbia!ken