[comp.graphics] ftp sites for Gif files

djk@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Doug Kelly) (11/07/90)

Does anyone have some anonymous ftp sites for .gif files?
thanks in advance
Doug

djk@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

35007_321@uwovax.uwo.ca (Gord Nickerson) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov6.210108.25434@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, djk@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Doug Kelly) writes:
> Does anyone have some anonymous ftp sites for .gif files?

while this is not the best place for this, have you noticed that many sites
that used to carry 'adult' gifs have either stopped or have restriced access
so anon ftp'ers can't retrieve them. I don't want to start flames in this
newsgroup and i can understand how it would be hard to defend to management
why disk space and cpu cycles were used to store this stuff....BUT can
anyone tell me where on the net who is keeping things like the DFG series
and other 'adult' 800x600 256 color or higher gifs?

ps - they certainly make good wallpaper    :-)

hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) (11/08/90)

I too, would like to know if there are any sites left, but I would also
like to add a question:

Why did they all go away, seemingly in unison? Was it just a natrual
occurence in the evolution of the NET and our society, or was there an
outside force involved?

hh
--
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/DB         "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2

gt0963d@prism.gatech.EDU (The Dreamer) (11/08/90)

In case you do not know, NSF has issued quite strong
warning against sites which used to carry adult stuff..
Misuse of NSFNET has been cited as the cause..

This is my information...nothing to do with my opinion
or views...

TD.
--
-----
I shall wait for you at Star's End

wls@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Bill Stapleton) (11/09/90)

In article <16658@hydra.gatech.EDU>, hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) writes:

> I too, would like to know if there are any sites left, but I would also
> like to add a question:

> Why did they all go away, seemingly in unison? Was it just a natrual
> occurence in the evolution of the NET and our society, or was there an
> outside force involved?

Catch-22.  They went away because their existence was mentioned on the NET
and they were subsequently overwhelmed.  Some of them were shut down simply
because of the traffic, others had unwanted attention drawn to the content of
the images.  Virtually every site mentioned publicly to be carrying adult
gif images has shut down or removed the images.

So, the one good way to kill an ftp site is to mention it here...

--
Bill Stapleton
     wls@csd4.csd.uwm.edu

labman@ecr.mu.oz.au (Bruce Robertson) (11/09/90)

In article <16658@hydra.gatech.EDU>, hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) writes:

> I too, would like to know if there are any sites left, ....>
>
> Why did they all go away, seemingly in unison?  ...........>

 I would like to see all the GIF (and other formats) remain
 and no doubt they still exist all locked up. BUT we have
 a limited amount of resources, namely packet bandwith,
 especially internationally, which gets swamped with all
 the normal E-mail and News articles.
 Even if we take this underground, we are still limited by
 this resource, and the net administrators would soon cut
 the service from you.
 Buying our own underground link is fine, duplicating and
 existing service just for pictures is a little expensive
 There are several arguments against letting pictures onto
 the net.

 1) Picture files are extremely large compared to normal text
	 and mail.
 2) Because of the size of images it consumes a great proportion
	 of the net bandwidth, and what may be considered more
	 legitimate users have longer delay on their very
	 important work. (ie alt.sex, alt.sex.bondage,
	 alt.sex.beatiality, alt.evil, rec.humour, rec.funny)
	 ALL VERY IMPORTANT NEWSGROUPS.
 3) The is the argument of copyright on the images, especially
	 those taken from adult magazines and BBS services. I
	 think that if the (C) notice is included in the border
	 including the source of the image we have supplied a
	 free advertising port for the original publishers. I
	 dont see any legal ramifications coming out of this
	 although the breech of (C) has occured.
 4) The problem of minors getting to view this media is real
	 although not a valid argument for its continued
	 suppression, especially in the light of all those
	 alt.sex.?????? newsgroups.
 5) The international censorship of risque` come pornographic
	 material is always going to have problems of degree
	 of censorship that each country imposses, but again
	 not to relevant in the light of alt.sex.??????

 Finally all the GIF groups haven't left the net they still
 exist with "nice" pictures that a lot of us do use for use
 in texture mapping in graphics, so please keep these archives
 open as long as possible.

 I know I have rambled rapidly of the beam from the original
 posting, But the loss of a lot of the GIF sites has been
 basically due to the fact that most of these sites also
 supplied images from the alt.sex.pictures newsgroup, and
 secondly that the large size of the pictures do take a lot
 of the packet bandwidth on international links.

 A solution that may work for all is to have a main archive
 in each of the main hubs of each country on the net. These
 fully supported by their respective governments, such that
 these images can be freely exhanged within your own country.
 This also means that particular images considered by your
 countries censorship board can be removed and still have a
 large and happy image users society.

 This is just my 2cents worth And I know I have missed a lot
 of arguments. But I am a slob anyway.

 Regards
  Bruce Robertson                               | labman@gondwana.ecr.mu.OZ.AU
  Department of Engineering Computer Resources, | labman@128.250.1.63
  C/o Faculty of Engineering,                 | Besides; It's not the Principle
  University of Melbourne, 3052. AUSTRALIA    | of the thing, it's the money.

35007_321@uwovax.uwo.ca (Gord Nickerson) (11/09/90)

In article <5981@munnari.oz.au>, labman@ecr.mu.oz.au (Bruce Robertson) writes:
>  1) Picture files are extremely large compared to normal text
>  2) Because of the size of images it consumes a great proportion
> 	 of the net bandwidth
>  A solution that may work for all is to have a main archive
>  in each of the main hubs of each country on the net.

Pixel images are large and in the interests of preserving international
packets I have never FTP'd one from another country. The idea of having
regional collections sounds good, esp if people knew which site was
closest then traffic would be kept to a minimum. Access to 'adult'
material could be limited to those specifically requesting access or
in a separate clearly marked directory. Sites with Gifs get swamped
precisely because people know they won't last....

i don't have a solution but i'd hate to see good quality gifs disappear
from the net. They are certainly more useful than some of the activity...

phs265y@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (11/09/90)

In article <7686.2738946e@uwovax.uwo.ca>, 35007_321@uwovax.uwo.ca (Gord Nickerson) writes:

> while this is not the best place for this, have you noticed that many sites
> that used to carry 'adult' gifs have either stopped or have restriced access
> so anon ftp'ers can't retrieve them. I don't want to start flames in this
> newsgroup and i can understand how it would be hard to defend to management
> why disk space and cpu cycles were used to store this stuff....BUT can
> anyone tell me where on the net who is keeping things like the DFG series
> and other 'adult' 800x600 256 color or higher gifs?

        Yes, I think the network police have been active.  In most cases of
   undemocratic authoritarianism, such as this one,  there is usually a
   flourishing black market.  Does anyone have any ideas ?

                      Tony Hartin

35007_321@uwovax.uwo.ca (Gord Nickerson) (11/12/90)

>    Yes, I think the network police have been active.  In most cases of
>    undemocratic authoritarianism, such as this one,  there is usually a
>    flourishing black market.  Does anyone have any ideas ?

since posting the article i have had several messages from people alleging
that gif sites have been shut down by NSF officials and that a black market
is alive. Addresses of such sites should not be publicly posted as this
leads to shutdown. If anyone has addresses send them along to me....Maybe
what we need is a mailing list...? I suggest cells of three....;->

guest@ssc-vax.UUCP (Temporary Guest Account) (11/20/90)

In article <67405.273ac57c@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au>, phs265y@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au writes:
>         Yes, I think the network police have been active.  In most cases of
>    undemocratic authoritarianism, such as this one,  there is usually a
>    flourishing black market.  Does anyone have any ideas ?
>
>                       Tony Hartin

Perhaps the simplest solution is to ignore ftp altogether.  Try
looking at some local BBS's.  I'm sure you'll find what you're
looking for.  This also has the advantage of not adding to ftp
traffic.

Stephen Coy
uw-beaver!ssc-vax!coy

ejy@cbnewsi.att.com (eugene.yurek) (11/24/90)

From article <16658@hydra.gatech.EDU>, by hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS):

> I too, would like to know if there are any sites left, but I would also
> like to add a question:
>
> Why did they all go away, seemingly in unison? Was it just a natrual
> occurence in the evolution of the NET and our society, or was there an
> outside force involved?
>
> hh
> --
> Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/DB         "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
> Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
> uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2
> Internet: hh2@prism.gatech.edu   hhaas@{gtri01|rmadsun}.gatech.edu

Last time I checked, 'wuarchive.wustl.edu' still had lots of GIF files
in the '/graphics' ftp directory.

--
Eugene J. Yurek				Internet: ejy@honasa.att.com
AT&T Bell Laboratories			    UUCP: ...!att!honasa!ejy

edward@twg.com (Edward C. Bennett) (11/26/90)

In article <1990Nov23.175519.27869@cbnewsi.att.com> ejy@cbnewsi.att.com (eugene.yurek) writes:
>Last time I checked, 'wuarchive.wustl.edu' still had lots of GIF files
>in the '/graphics' ftp directory.

It won't much longer...

--
Edward C. Bennett - The other MMDF guy			edward@twg.com
The Wollongong Group					(415) 962-7252

roger@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Roger Petersen) (12/06/90)

It sounds like there's room for a new market to open up here:

	"Get 500 MB of the latest GIF images, now on CD ROM!
	 Yours for only $19.95.  Brought to you by Playboy and K-tel.
	 Call 1-800-GIF-ME now!  Operators are standing by..."