[comp.graphics] Graphics Standards

rthomson@mesa.dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) (12/12/90)

In article <127221@linus.mitre.org>
	cazier@mbunix.mitre.org (Cazier) writes:
>How would "graphics" standards be best categorized? vector vs. bit-mapped?

Are you referring to standards for graphic data interchange, or
graphics programming?  The former are covered by "metafiles", or files
that describe graphical data.  There is the CGM standard (from Annex
H: Relationship of CGM and PHIGS, ISO/IEC 9592-1:1988(E)):

	``The CGM Standard (ISO 8632) defines a metafile for the
	capture of static picture definitions''

CGM is basically two dimensional, while PHIGS strives for full 3D
archival of information in an archive file.

Another popular "metafile" format that is becoming popular in the
personal computer world (PC, Mac, Amiga, etc) is the IFF standard
developed by Electronic Arts.  It provides an extensible format for
exchanging digitized images, sound and animations.  I don't yet
believe that they've defined formats for geometric (as opposed to
sampled) data.

There are also other data file formats running around (probably some
important ones I don't know about or have forgotten at the moment).
The current trend seems to be that users are arming themselves with a
plethora of conversion tools to move data around between applications
and formats.  Users will probably tire of this and demand that
applications support whatever standard (ISO or defacto) they feel
suits their needs.  This effort may be hampered by different markets
each demanding their own standard, when a single encompassing standard
may be preferred.

>In addition, if a systems integrator were trying to suggest migration paths
>from a current set of software tools to a future set that utilized "standards"
>how would that be done? What "standards" would a groupware approach demand?
>Would PHIGS/PDES, GKS, CGM be a practical goal to maximize a company's ROI
>on interoperability between software packages?

Following the ability of software tools and applications to
interoperate on a variety of X-based platforms, the PEX Consortium is
(I believe) attempting to ensure that interoperability will continue
in this flavor for PEX implementations.

							-- Rich

--
  ``Read my MIPS -- no new VAXes!!'' -- George Bush after sniffing freon

UUCP: ...!uunet!dsd.es.com!rthomson		Rich Thomson
ARPA: rthomson@dsd.es.com			Software Engineer