[comp.graphics] sipp 2.0 posted in comp.sources.misc

ingwa@isy.liu.se (Inge Wallin) (12/20/90)

We just posted the source code to sipp 2.0 in comp.sources.misc. It
may be a while before it appears due to moderation, though. Here is
an excerpt from the README file:

             sipp 2.0  --  3d rendering package

             by         Jonas Yngvesson   jonas-y@isy.liu.se
                        Inge Wallin       ingwa@isy.liu.se

             Linkoping Institute of Technology
             Sweden

This is the beta-test release of version 2.0 of SIPP, the SImple
Polygon Processor. SIPP is a library for creating 3-dimensional
scenes and rendering them using a scan-line z-buffer algorithm. A
scene is built up of objects which can be transformed with rotation,
translation and scaling. The objects form hierarchies where each
object can have arbitrarily many subobjects and subsurfaces. A
surface is a number of connected polygons which are rendered with
Phong interpolation of the surface normals.

The library has an internal database for the objects that is to be
rendered. Objects can be installed in, and removed from, this
database at any time.

The library also provides 3-dimensional texture mapping with
automatic interpolation of texture coordinates. Simple anti-aliasing
is performed through double oversampling. A scene can be illuminated
by an arbitrary number of light sources. A basic shading algorithm is
provided with the library, but the user can also use his own shading
algorithms for each surface to produce special effects. Images are
produced in the Portable Pixmap format (ppm) for which many utilities
exist.
--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |

ingwa@isy.liu.se (Inge Wallin) (12/21/90)

I write:

>We just posted the source code to sipp 2.0 in comp.sources.misc. It
>may be a while before it appears due to moderation, though. Here is
>an excerpt from the README file:

>             sipp 2.0  --  3d rendering package

>             by         Jonas Yngvesson   jonas-y@isy.liu.se
>                        Inge Wallin       ingwa@isy.liu.se

>             Linkoping Institute of Technology
>             Sweden

and so on, and so on...

Unfortunately my postings to comp.sources.misc were returned to me by
some mailer, and I don't have time to check out the cause of the error
until after christmas. Instead, I have made the source code to sipp2.0
available for anonymous ftp at isy.liu.se, 130.236.1.3.  The file
name is sipp-2.0.tar.Z. Don't forget to set binary mode.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas!
--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |
ingwa@isy.liu.se          |       life becomes meaningless."                |
                          | Geoffrey James: The Tao of Programming.         |

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (12/21/90)

I'm not familiar with the SIPP 2.0 package.  What kind of machine is
it written for?

koblas@mips.COM (David Koblas) (12/22/90)

In article <1990Dec20.213705.5190@isy.liu.se> ingwa@isy.liu.se (Inge Wallin) writes:
>I write:
>
>>*******************************************************************
>>             sipp 2.0  --  3d rendering package
>
>>             by         Jonas Yngvesson   jonas-y@isy.liu.se
>>                        Inge Wallin       ingwa@isy.liu.se
>
>>             Linkoping Institute of Technology
>>             Sweden

To save on the transatlantic bandwidth, I've place a copy of
sipp-2.0 up for anonymous ftp on 'mips.com' (130.62.14.10).

--
name : David Koblas                        domain: koblas@cs.uoregon.edu
place: Nowhere, I'm just an AI batch job.  domain: koblas@mips.com