[comp.graphics] Byte article on relaxation, again.

ajb@grebyn.com (Alan J. Broder) (12/31/90)

In a previous posting I asked whether any readers could point me
to the appropriate issue of Byte, which dealt with a type of
relaxation algorithm. The application demonstrated was, that given
a list of city-pairs with their corresponding distances to each
other, it was possible to compute their relative locations, (i.e.
New York is east of California, etc...)

One reader suggested the August, 1987 issue of Byte, which turned
out not to have the needed article. Since I am drawing a blank, can
anyone suggest a way to obtain reference information about back
issues of Byte ?

Is there a better newsgroup to be posting this ?

Thanks

Alan Broder
ajb@grebyn.com

hollasch@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Steve Hollasch) (01/01/91)

In article <24372@grebyn.com> ajb@grebyn.com (Alan J. Broder) writes:

>In a previous posting I asked whether any readers could point me
>to the appropriate issue of Byte, which dealt with a type of
>relaxation algorithm. The application demonstrated was, that given
>a list of city-pairs with their corresponding distances to each
>other, it was possible to compute their relative locations, (i.e.
>New York is east of California, etc...)
>
>One reader suggested the August, 1987 issue of Byte, which turned
>out not to have the needed article. Since I am drawing a blank, can
>anyone suggest a way to obtain reference information about back
>issues of Byte ?

    Well, dialing up my handy CARL online reference at ASU, I got the
following reference:

----------------------------------------------------Applied Science & Tech-----
AUTHOR(s):       Williams, Gregg
TITLE(s):        An introduction to relaxation methods
Journal title:   Byte
Volume:          12
Pages:           111-14+
Date:            January 1987
Notes:           diagrams

Article about:   Relaxation methods (Mathematics)
                 Mathematical physics
                 Feature article

---1 of 1-------------------------------------------Applied Science & Tech-----

    Hope this helps.

Steve Hollasch                       Arizona State University (Tempe, Arizona)
hollasch@enuxha.eas.asu.edu  |  uunet!mimsy!oddjob!noao!asuvax!enuxha!hollasch

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) (01/02/91)

Quoted from <24372@grebyn.com> by ajb@grebyn.com (Alan J. Broder):
> Is there a better newsgroup to be posting this ?

    One of the IBM PC newsgroups, perhaps?

--
*** John Bickers, TAP, NZAmigaUG.        jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz ***
***     "Snake through the chaos with a smooth noodle map" - Devo       ***

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (daniel lance herrick) (01/04/91)

In article <24372@grebyn.com>, ajb@grebyn.com (Alan J. Broder) writes:
> In a previous posting I asked whether any readers could point me
> to the appropriate issue of Byte, which dealt with a type of
> relaxation algorithm. The application demonstrated was, that given
> a list of city-pairs with their corresponding distances to each
> other, it was possible to compute their relative locations, (i.e.
> New York is east of California, etc...)
>
> One reader suggested the August, 1987 issue of Byte, which turned
> out not to have the needed article. Since I am drawing a blank, can
> anyone suggest a way to obtain reference information about back
> issues of Byte ?
>
> Is there a better newsgroup to be posting this ?

This newsgroup may deliver, but the experts on your source frequent
Byte Information eXchange - BIX - another 'network' entirely, and
you may find it simplest to sign up for BIX, pay the fee, and hang
out there for a while.

dan herrick
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com