[comp.graphics] TIFF better than PICT? Why?

raja@bombay.cps.msu.edu (Narayan S. Raja) (01/05/91)

I'd like to thank everyone who posted those
extremely informative follow-ups to my first
question about PICT-2.

Actually, the reason I asked those questions
was in the hope (unsuccessful so far) of answering
a different question.  So maybe I could just
ask the original question itself:

I have been using a flatbed scanner (Howtek
Scanmaster) with Laserpaint II on a Mac, to
scan images in 24-bit color.  Now, Laserpaint II
allows you to save the scanned images in many
different formats, such as PICT, TIFF, or
encapsulated PostScript.  At first I used to
save them in PICT format.  Someone told me that
"PICT loses information" and that TIFF would
give better results.  (This turned out to be
true.  The very same image, saved as TIFF
and transferred to a Sun, is much superior to
a version saved as PICT).  Why so?

Thanks in advance (again),

Narayan Sriranga Raja.

topix@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (R. Munroe) (01/05/91)

Newsgroups: comp.graphics
Subject: Re: TIFF better than PICT?  Why?
In article <1991Jan4.171654.6337@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> raja@cpswh.cps.msu.edu writes:

>I'd like to thank everyone who posted those
>extremely informative follow-ups to my first
>question about PICT-2.
>
>Actually, the reason I asked those questions
>was in the hope (unsuccessful so far) of answering
>a different question.  So maybe I could just
>ask the original question itself:
>
>I have been using a flatbed scanner (Howtek
>Scanmaster) with Laserpaint II on a Mac, to
>scan images in 24-bit color.  Now, Laserpaint II
>allows you to save the scanned images in many
>different formats, such as PICT, TIFF, or
>encapsulated PostScript.  At first I used to
>save them in PICT format.  Someone told me that
>"PICT loses information" and that TIFF would
>give better results.  (This turned out to be
>true.  The very same image, saved as TIFF
>and transferred to a Sun, is much superior to
>a version saved as PICT).  Why so?
>
>Thanks in advance (again),
>

>Narayan Sriranga Raja.

It would be helpful if you could describe the differences.  Are the PICT images
banded or dithered?  If so, they are probably not 24-bit images - which would
explain the lower quality.

There are a couple of reasons why the images might be 8-bit:

1.  The scanner software was developed before 32-Bit Color QuickDraw was
    released.

2.  The scanner software is looking for 32-Bit CQD but it is not installed
    so it falls back to saving PICT files in 8-bits.

There is no reason that a 24-bit TIFF image should look any different
from a 24-bit PICT image - especially if they were created with the same
software (case in point: PhotoShop).

Bob Munroe
topix@utcs.utoronto.ca