[comp.graphics] anonymous FTP

loney@earth.lerc.nasa.gov (Patrick Loney) (01/01/91)

Excuse my computer ineptatude. (Some times when I press a letter on the
typewriter, it doesn't come up on the TV screen!!!!!).  I have seen several
reerences to "Accessibe through anonymous ftp".  Could somebody please
translate this for me and tell me how I access these files??? (Please)

Feel free to send me mail (adress above) or put the answer up on
comp.graphics.   Thank you

falk@peregrine.Sun.COM (Ed Falk) (01/02/91)

In article <1990Dec31.210745.2962@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> loney@earth.lerc.nasa.gov writes:

>Excuse my computer ineptatude. (Some times when I press a letter on the
>typewriter, it doesn't come up on the TV screen!!!!!).  I have seen several
>reerences to "Accessibe through anonymous ftp".  Could somebody please
>translate this for me and tell me how I access these files??? (Please)

"Anonymous ftp" refers to using ftp to connect to the remote site
and logging in as the user "anonymous".  You can use anything you
want for a password, but the convention is to use your e-mail address:

	% ftp foo.bar.com
	Connected to foo.bar.com.
	220 foo FTP server (SunOS 4.0) ready.
	Name (foo.bar:falk): anonymous
	331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
	Password: falk@sun.com (not echoed)
	230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
	ftp>

Type "help" at this point to find out what commands apply.  Type "ls"
to see what files and directories are available.  Usually, the good
stuff is in the "pub" directory for anonymous ftp accounts.

		-ed falk, sun microsystems
		 sun!falk, falk@sun.com
To be loyal to rags, to shout for rags, to worship rags, to die for rags
-- that is a loyalty of unreason, it is pure animal (Mark Twain).

mrodrigu@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Mark Rodriguez) (01/02/91)

Is there a site available by anonymous FTP that has weather maps in GIF format?

Please respond by E-mail
and thanks for the info
mrodrigu@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU

LSDavis@exua.exeter.ac.uk (Lee Davis) (01/08/91)

I too would like to know of GIF (or other format) files
for weather maps, especially in the UK.
Also, any astronomical pictures too on anonymous ftp please.
Thanks,
Lee Davis