[comp.graphics] satellite/orthographic projection algorithms

vrenjak@rm1.UUCP (Milan Vrenjak) (01/08/91)

I'm looking for an algorithm that would allow me to project
a point from a world database (using longitude and latitude)
to x,y coordinates using a satellite type projection.
Also the reverse projection (mapping x,y to longitude and latitude)
is required.

What I want to do is draw a satellite view of the globe and allow
it to rotate, in any direction- east-west, north-south, and so on.

Any source, references, pointers, etc, will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

--
Milan
vrenjak@rm1.UUCP

rthomson@mesa.dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) (01/09/91)

In article <960@rm1.UUCP>
	vrenjak@rm1.UUCP (Milan Vrenjak) writes:
>I'm looking for an algorithm that would allow me to project
>a point from a world database (using longitude and latitude)
>to x,y coordinates using a satellite type projection.
>Also the reverse projection (mapping x,y to longitude and latitude)
>is required.

The standard reference for map projections is:

    _Map Projections -- A Working Manual_, USGS Technical Paper 1395,
    by John P. Snyder

It contains formulas for projections of ellipsoidal and spherical
approximations to the Earth's surface onto the plane (and the
reverse).  It also includes a special section on projections developed
for satellite mapping.  It has standard tables and projection formulas
for all standard projections used by the USGS.

The book (it is a paperback about an inch thick, even though it's
title of "technical paper" suggests it to be small) is available
through the USGS; mine was $20.  You can find the USGS in the blue
pages of your phone book under the Department of the Interior.

						-- Rich
--
  ``Read my MIPS -- no new VAXes!!'' -- George Bush after sniffing freon
	    Disclaimer: I speak for myself, except as noted.