Many thanks go to Tom and Julien for their replies.

From: Tom.Lane%G.GP.CS.CMU.EDU@munnari
Documents are a bit hard to come by.  The Sept. 90 Comm. ACM has a
sample photo (page 32); the same article references a "technical
overview" article in the proceedings of the 1990 SPIE symposium on
electronic imaging science and technology.  (I haven't seen the
overview.)  The January 1991 MacWorld also has a useful article.
You can order a copy of the draft standard from the X3 subcommittee of
your local ISO/CCITT organization.  (If you can't find who that is down
in Oz, I have the US address.)

The executive summary is:
	1. Transform image into YUV color space, work on each color
	   component separately.
	2. Divide picture into 8x8 pixel blocks.  Optionally subsample
	   the U and V components, relying on the eye's lower
	   sensitivity to chrominance changes.
	3. Transform each 8x8 block through a discrete cosine transform
	   (DCT); this is a relative of FFT and likewise gives a
	   frequency map (with 8x8 components).
	4. Quantize *in the frequency domain*, by dividing each of the
	   64 frequency components by a separate quantization
	   coefficient, and rounding the results to integers.  This is
	   a "lossy" step in the sense that it is not 100% reversible.
	   Typically the higher frequencies are reduced more than the lower.
	5. Huffman or arithmetic code the results.

(If that didn't make sense to you, don't bother trying to read the
draft standard.)

I'm heading up a group that intends to produce a freely available
JPEG implementation.  We have only limited experience so far, but
it seems that images can be represented in about one-fifth the space
needed by GIF.  If you have access to internet FTP you can retrieve
our discussions and prototype code by anonymous FTP to think.com;
look under directory jpeg.

--
tom lane
Internet: tgl@cs.cmu.edu

From: <jnicolas%ATHENA.MIT.EDU@munnari>

You can obtain the JPEG draft from several places. It is still a draft
although some manufacturers have gone ahead and implemented the
algorithm in hardware (e.g. C-Cube Microsystems). One such place is

JPEG Draft Technical Specification
X3 Secretartiat: Computer and Business Equipment Manufacturers Association
311 First Street NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20001-2178

The JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group) draft standard implements a
DCT based image compression algorithm. The general ideas are very
standard and can be found in almost any image digital image processing
textbook. However, a lot of effort went into optimizing the algorithm
both for speed and subjective quality. Typical compression ratios are
around 30:1 for 24 bit RGB images with reasonably high resolution.
Higher compression ratios are of course selectable. The image quality
degrades quite gracefully as compression ratios are increased.

Hope this helps.

Julien

CON NERI

All Graphic R+D				e-mail: cn@allgfx.agi.oz.au
49-53 Barry ST				tele:   +61-3-3471722
Carlton					fax :	+61-3-3472175
Vic 3053
AUSTRALIA

flint@gistdev.gist.com (Flint Pellett) (01/11/91)

cn@allgfx.agi.oz (Con Neri) writes:

>From: <jnicolas%ATHENA.MIT.EDU@munnari>

>You can obtain the JPEG draft from several places. It is still a draft
>although some manufacturers have gone ahead and implemented the
>algorithm in hardware (e.g. C-Cube Microsystems). One such place is

>JPEG Draft Technical Specification
>X3 Secretartiat: Computer and Business Equipment Manufacturers Association
>311 First Street NW, Suite 500
>Washington, DC 20001-2178

>The JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group) draft standard implements a
>DCT based image compression algorithm. The general ideas are very
>standard and can be found in almost any image digital image processing
>textbook. However, a lot of effort went into optimizing the algorithm
>both for speed and subjective quality. Typical compression ratios are
>around 30:1 for 24 bit RGB images with reasonably high resolution.
>Higher compression ratios are of course selectable. The image quality
>degrades quite gracefully as compression ratios are increased.

This doesn't say how much time is required to do the uncompression.
(I could care less if it takes 20 minutes to compress it, as long as it
can be uncompressed rapidly.)  Before JPEG can displace something like
GIF, it's going to have to be able to uncompress images in something
less than 5 seconds on a typical PC, (and obviously, if you want it to
handle animation, you're going to have to get down in the fractional
second range.)  I've not seen any concrete data on decompression speed
other than one article that quoted times around 2 minutes (yeech!)
by some package I don't remember the name of.  Can anyone who knows
tell us what speed is available right now, both from software and from
hardware solutions?  Thanks.
--
Flint Pellett, Global Information Systems Technology, Inc.
1800 Woodfield Drive, Savoy, IL  61874     (217) 352-1165