[comp.graphics] JPEG alogorithm results/raytrace animations

mcastle@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle (Nexus)) (01/11/91)

In article <1051@gistdev.gist.com> flint@gistdev.gist.com (Flint Pellett) writes:
>This doesn't say how much time is required to do the uncompression.
>(I could care less if it takes 20 minutes to compress it, as long as it
>can be uncompressed rapidly.)  Before JPEG can displace something like
>GIF, it's going to have to be able to uncompress images in something
>less than 5 seconds on a typical PC, (and obviously, if you want it to
 (* extra deleted *)

Your right about needing quick decompression, IF your going to view directly
from the JPEG type file.  The JPEG standard, I believe, is being looked at
mainly for mass storage and transmissions.  The whole idea came about because
of a lot of talk on alt.sex.pictures concerning the massive amount of bandwidth
being eaten up with the .gifs being posted.  What I believe the group who are
working on the project is trying to get is programs that will change between
formats, not necessarily view them.

Well, while I'm posting, I wan't to ask a question about raytraced animations:
I recently acquired some .fli files as well as aaplay.exe (for ms-dos).  Now,
I know about RAYSCENE, which will create multiple input files for the raytracer
of choice.  Is this all I need?  Does it handle the output files as well,
turning them into .fli files, or do I need a separate program to cat them
all together?

Tanx for any info,
Mike
--