[comp.graphics] raytracing NURBS

pearce%alias@csri.utoronto.ca (Andrew Pearce) (01/15/91)

In article <17400021@hpfcdj.HP.COM> fwb@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Frank Bennett) writes:

>o Dante, Eric Haines, 3DEYE & Hewlett Packard
>
>	Build a model & view it in "real time" using polygons or NURBS,
>then go get a raytraced or Radiosity rendition of the scene. The only
>tracer I know which will trace Bspline patches.

Well, if you are going to mention commercially available packages,
Alias also offers a ray tracer which will render trimmed NURBS. We
tessellate our patches for speed (I believe Eric does too, I'ld be
shocked to see them doing radiosity on patches themselves! Their SIGGRAPH
'89 paper says they use polygonal approximations.) We've got Depth o' Field
and linear and area light sources too.

Has anyone tried Nishita, Sederberg and Kakimoto's "Ray Tracing Trimmed
Rational Surface Patches" (from SIGGRAPH '90) method yet? I'ld be
curious to see a comparison between a tessellation approach and the
direct ray/patch approach...

--
- Andrew Pearce, Alias, someplace in Toronto
- pearce%alias@csri.utoronto.ca   |   pearce@alias.UUCP