[comp.graphics] Needed: Digital Mapping Data

wex@miro.Berkeley.EDU (01/12/91)

Does anyone out there know a good source for digital cartography data?

I am looking primarily for terrain contour data and hydrological features.
It would be helpful if it included vegetation types as well. I would prefer
the data to be in some sort of polyline and polygon format, pixmaps are
basically unusable for my needs. The particular region is not very
important to me as long as it is not too 'extreme' nor too 'gentle'.

I have tried USGeoData the division of the US Geological department which
sells  USGS data but it takes at least 6 weeks to obtain anything from them
and they generally expect each order to require 'research'. I am sure someone
on the net must have some good data that fits this description!

Of course it would be most helpful if a description of the file type was
included along with the files.

Thanks ahead of time,

			Daniel Wexler
			U.C Berkeley Graphics Lab

Whats a disclaimer anyway? I claim my body does not belong to the US Govnt!

musgrave-forest@cs.yale.edu (F. Ken Musgrave) (01/13/91)

In article <10150@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> wex@miro.Berkeley.EDU () writes:
>Does anyone out there know a good source for digital cartography data?
>
>I have tried USGeoData the division of the US Geological department which
>sells  USGS data but it takes at least 6 weeks to obtain anything from them
>and they generally expect each order to require 'research'.

  We too, were dismayed by this disclaimer from the USGS, but when we ordered
data it arrived in about two week.

								Ken
--
		The Fundamental Dilemma of Existentialism:

	Eschew obfuscation.			Ignore alien orders.

msz@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Mark Zaller) (01/15/91)

In article <10150@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> wex@miro.Berkeley.EDU () writes:
>Does anyone out there know a good source for digital cartography data?

I have tracked down some sources of data for Remote Sensing and aerial
multispectral imaging that I do. Here are the different CD ROMS that I
have found:

  US GeoData, DLG and other formats of terrrain and hydrographic data
  CD ROM based. 100-150 megs of data in 3 different formats. I was
  able to walk down to our local USGS office and purchase it for $28.
  I was not asked if it would be used for research. Call 800-USA-MAPS
  if you don't have a local USGS office.

  DMA (defense mapping agency) has CD ROMS and tapes of maps around the
  world that are publicly available, but the DMA can be difficult to work
  with. I bought 2 CD ROMs (~$9 ea), but it turned out that the program
  used to view the maps with is classified, so I haven't been able to view
  data yet. Call them at 800-826-0342

  CRMI Mapping Data Base, Spring 1989, by NAAD. This is a CD ROM full
  of some kind of mapping data that I haven't been able to view yet.
  Nat'l Assoc. of Advertising Distributors, 1515 NW Saline, Topeka,
  Kansas, 66618.

  TIGER/Line Precensus Files, 1990. This a CD ROM I picked up at the
  GIS/LIS show last November. This has sample 1990 data that covers
  parts of Calif, but I don't have a Tiger file reader yet, Does
  anyone have a pulic domain Tiger file reader? 301-763-4100

  1988 Dress Rehersal Census of St. Louis, East Central Missouri, and
  Eastern Washington. 301-763-4100

  SIGCAT GIPS '89. CD ROM with different kinds of aerial and satellite
  imagery, along with some image processors and public domain
  software. Call 703-620-4200 or 408-438-3100 to order the 1991 2 disk
  set.

All of the above disk I have are either ISO 9660 or High Sierra
formats that I access from a Macintosh or PC.

Does anyone know of other CD ROMS with mapping data?

Mark Zaller