[comp.graphics] Pool Table

nad@cl.cam.ac.uk (Neil Dodgson) (01/21/91)

In article <7926@castle.ed.ac.uk> aipdc@castle.ed.ac.uk (Paul Crowley) writes:
>robert@sgi.com sez in <1991Jan19.031630.3683@odin.corp.sgi.com>
>>Of course, as others have pointed out, the balls and table are too
>>perfect, which is another imperfection.

For those who want to look at this picture one place it's reproduced is
as Plate III.16 of Foley, van Dam, Feiner and Hughes [many other places
too...]

>I saw another Turing-test which was a photo of a classroom and a
>raytraced copy.  The only way you could tell the difference was because
>the board was dirty in one.

If this is plate III.19 of Foley et al then the big difference I found
was that the wood grain on the table looked fake; the SECOND thing I
noticed that the blackboard looked too clean.  One thought is that the
table in the real picture has fake wood grain (looks like some sort of
`plasticy' veneer that's supposed to look like wood grain) while the
table in the artifical picture looks like it is texture mapped from an
image of real wood grain -- we're so used to seeing the fake stuff that
the real stuff looks wrong???  Another thought is that the second table's
wood grain is a perfect mirror image of the first table's wood grain,
a sure sign that something is `wrong'.

Neil Dodgson,           | nad@cl.cam.ac.uk
Computer Laboratory,    |
Pembroke Street,        |