[net.cooks] Pizza Question

waynez@houxh.UUCP (W.ZAKARAS) (04/01/85)

>From houxk!houxa!houxm!npois!npoiv!harpo!decvax!decwrl!turtleva!ken (Ken Turkowski) Tue Feb 15 20:58:44 1983
>Subject: Chicago-style Stuffed Pizza
>Newsgroups: net.cooks
>

>				Chicago-Style
>				Stuffed Pizza
>				(six servings)
>
>Crust:
>1 package active dry yeast
>1-1/4 cups lukewarm water
>1 tablespoon melted shortening
>2 tablespoons sugar
>1 teaspoon salt
>4-1/4 to 4-1/2 cups flour
>  Oil
>
>Filling:
>1-1/2 pounds mild Italian sausage
>1 medium onion, chopped
>1 medium green pepper, chopped
>1 tablespoon oil
>1/2 teaspoon salt
>1 package (10 ounces) mozzarella cheese,
>    thinly sliced
>1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
>
>Topping:
>1 can (28 ounces) Italian-style tomatoes,
>    drained, chopped
>1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
>1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
>1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
>
>Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water.  Add shortening, sugar, and salt.
>Stir in 2 cups flour.  Add enough more flour to form a soft dough.
>Turn dough onto lightly floured board; knead until smooth and elastic,
>working in more flour as needed.  Divide dough into thirds.  Cover and
>set one-third aside.  Roll two-thirds of the dough into a 14-inch
>circle.  Brush a 12-inch pizza pan (at least 2 inches deep) lightly
>with oil.  Press dough evenly over bottom and up sides of pan.  Remove
>sausage from casing and crumble into crust (it need not be cooked
>before using).  Saute onion and green pepper in 1 tablespoon oil until
>tender.  Stir in salt; sprinkle vegetables over sausage.  Top with
>mozzarella cheese and mushrooms.
>
>For topping, saute tomatoes and spices 10 minutes, breaking up tomatoes
>with a fork.  Roll out remaining one-third of dough into a 12-inch
>circle.  Set over filling in pan.  Crimp edges of top and bottom crust
>together to seal well.  Prick top crust with fork.  Spread tomato sauce
>over top.  Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.  Bake at 425 degrees 45
>minutes, or until crust is golden.  Let pizza stand 10 minutes before
>serving.

This recipe was on the net a few years ago.  I've tried it several
times and each time the dough comes out like a rock.  I've followed
the recipe to the letter.  I've also noticed nothing about letting
the dough rise (How come it has yeast in it)  I can't believe the 5
minutes in the oven makes it rise.  Can anyone help me, possibly even
Ken Turkowski who posted it?

WayneZ...