[comp.graphics] 3D flight simulators algorithms ???

langston@omega.Sun.COM (Jim Langston Sun ASE - MidWest ) (01/22/91)

Hi folks ,

Are there any algorithms for 3D flight simulators
out there ???

I'm looking to work on a simulator , but I was hoping
that some known algorithms would be out there .

Thanks

Jim Langston

kaufman@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) (01/22/91)

In article <2362@texsun.Central.Sun.COM> langston@omega.Sun.COM (Jim Langston Sun ASE - MidWest ) writes:
>Are there any algorithms for 3D flight simulators out there ???
>Jim Langston

Please post any information on this.  Sorry about not just asking Jim to forward
what he gets, but my mail to him kept bouncing.

Michael

Michael Kaufman | I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on
 kaufman        | fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in
  @eecs.nwu.edu | the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be

ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) (01/23/91)

In article <2362@texsun.Central.Sun.COM> langston@omega.Sun.COM (Jim Langston Sun ASE - MidWest ) writes:
>Are there any algorithms for 3D flight simulators out there ???

Bruce Artwick, who wrote Flight Simulator and Flight
Simulator II for Sublogic and Microsoft, has a book
called (I believe) "Advanced Graphics for Microcomputers."
I won't swear to the title, because I don't have it in
front of me at the moment, and I'm not sure if it's
still in print, but it might be a good place to start.

jcs@crash.cts.com (John Schultz) (01/23/91)

In <16240@accuvax.nwu.edu> kaufman@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) writes:

>In article <2362@texsun.Central.Sun.COM> langston@omega.Sun.COM (Jim Langston Sun ASE - MidWest ) writes:
>>Are there any algorithms for 3D flight simulators out there ???

>Please post any information on this.  Sorry about not just asking Jim to forward
>what he gets, but my mail to him kept bouncing.

  There's a public domain flight simulator available by Riley Rainey- it's
called acm. He's posting it to comp.sources (I think; perhaps someone out
there knows for sure where). Or drop Riley a note at riley@mips.com.

  The best way to simulate flight, and any motion for that matter, is to
build a generalized physical modelling system. If you tailor you simulator
to aircraft, you won't be able to do more advance operations later on.
Most books on aerodynamics simplify the motion equations based on symmetry.
Don't do that. Use the complete motion equations from a book on mechanics-
dynamics. In the long run, you'll be glad you did.

  John