[comp.graphics] JPEG algorithm results

tgl@g.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Tom Lane) (01/11/91)

In article <1051@gistdev.gist.com>, flint@gistdev.gist.com (Flint Pellett) writes:
> cn@allgfx.agi.oz (Con Neri) writes:
> >The JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group) draft standard implements a
> >DCT based image compression algorithm. ... Typical compression ratios are
> >around 30:1 for 24 bit RGB images with reasonably high resolution.
>
> This doesn't say how much time is required to do the uncompression.
> (I could care less if it takes 20 minutes to compress it, as long as it
> can be uncompressed rapidly.)  Before JPEG can displace something like
> GIF, it's going to have to be able to uncompress images in something
> less than 5 seconds on a typical PC, (and obviously, if you want it to
> handle animation, you're going to have to get down in the fractional
> second range.)

Gimme a break.  Even GIF images usually take longer than 5 seconds to
decompress, unless you are talking real small images (or maybe you have
a 486?)

Software implementations of JPEG *will* be a good bit slower than GIF.
However, this is not a good reason to reject it for net posting purposes.
Remember that JPEG-compressed files will also be a factor of 5 (more or
less) smaller than comparable GIF files.  In many cases this translates
directly into time savings; for example, I have to download any net-posted
image across a 2400bps modem link before I can view it.  Assuming a GIF
image size of 100Kb (which is on the small side), that takes at least 7
minutes.  The same image in JPEG format might be about 20Kb = 1.5 minutes.
So if it takes less than 5 minutes to decompress the JPEG image, I have come
out ahead on time, and that doesn't even consider the disk space and network
bandwidth savings that are accrued all over the net.

If I'm going to view the same image over and over, I probably wouldn't want
to pay the price of JPEG decompression each time.  No problem: convert it to
GIF or something else that's cheap to display while I'm working on it.  It's
still worthwhile to use JPEG format for transmission and archival storage
purposes.

> I've not seen any concrete data on decompression speed
> other than one article that quoted times around 2 minutes (yeech!)
> by some package I don't remember the name of.  Can anyone who knows
> tell us what speed is available right now, both from software and from
> hardware solutions?  Thanks.

The prototype JPEG code that my group is playing around with now takes maybe
3 or 4 minutes to process a typical image (300000 pixels or so) on
medium-fast PC class hardware.  We haven't made any serious effort to
optimize for speed yet, so I think the final result will be significantly
better; maybe 1 or 2 minutes.  (Incidentally, decompression is about the
same speed as compression, and there's no way to make it significantly
faster 'cause the algorithm is symmetrical.)

Hardware-based solutions will be lots faster, but still not video speed.
JPEG is not intended for video applications; there is a separate standards
effort (called MPEG) addressing the question of video compression.

--
				tom lane
Internet: tgl@cs.cmu.edu

drake@drake.almaden.ibm.com (01/13/91)

In article <11547@pt.cs.cmu.edu> tgl@g.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Tom Lane) writes:
>Hardware-based solutions will be lots faster, but still not video speed.

Not true; at the MultiMedia Expo at San Francisco in November two vendors
showed full motion digital video in a window on the Mac using JPEG
compression.  Thirty frames per second from the hard disk, being decompressed
and displayed in real time.  The C-Cube chips are capable of compression
and decompression at 30 fps.

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center
Internet:  drake@ibm.com            BITNET:  DRAKE at ALMADEN
Usenet:    ...!uunet!ibmarc!drake   Phone:   (408) 927-1861

fpa@qualcomm.com (Franklin Antonio) (01/14/91)

In article <421@rufus.UUCP> drake@drake.almaden.ibm.com writes:
>... at the MultiMedia Expo at San Francisco in November two vendors
>showed full motion digital video in a window on the Mac using JPEG
>compression.

Does anybody know who these two venders were?
I'd be interested in name, and phone number.

jeremy@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au (Jeremy Fitzhardinge) (01/14/91)

drake@drake.almaden.ibm.com writes:

>In article <11547@pt.cs.cmu.edu> tgl@g.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Tom Lane) writes:
>>Hardware-based solutions will be lots faster, but still not video speed.
>
>Not true; at the MultiMedia Expo at San Francisco in November two vendors
>showed full motion digital video in a window on the Mac using JPEG
>compression.  Thirty frames per second from the hard disk, being decompressed
>and displayed in real time.  The C-Cube chips are capable of compression
>and decompression at 30 fps.

I'm pretty sure I read about Inmos producing a chip that can encode image
data in television quality at 25 frames per second.  Since its a
British company, I guess thats a 625 line PAL image.  I'm not sure
if it was JPEG, but it certainly used a DCT algorithm.

--
Jeremy Fitzhardinge:jeremy@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au jeremy@utscsd.csd.uts.edu.au
                   QUESTION AUTHORITY.    Sez who?
Jeremy Fitzhardinge:jeremy@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au jeremy@utscsd.csd.uts.edu.au
                   QUESTION AUTHORITY.    Sez who?

george@hobbes.ncsu.edu (George Browning) (01/15/91)

Could someone please give me the phone number and address
of C-Cube Microsytems?  Any estimates on the price of their JPEG chip?

Thanks
george

| o |  George Browning                 george@catt.ncsu.edu        | o |
| o |  NC State University             Raleigh, NC                 | o |

jwhitnell@cup.portal.com (Jerry D Whitnell) (01/18/91)

|In article <421@rufus.UUCP> drake@drake.almaden.ibm.com writes:
|>... at the MultiMedia Expo at San Francisco in November two vendors
|>showed full motion digital video in a window on the Mac using JPEG
|>compression.
|
|Does anybody know who these two venders were?
|I'd be interested in name, and phone number.

SuperMac Technology was one.  We also showed our Digital Film product at
MacWorld San Francisco.  Our number is (408) 245-2202.  Digital Film, however,
is currently only a prototype and is still under development.  I don't know
if we've annouced a ship date for it yet or not.

Jerry Whitnell
SuperMac Technology

hsi@netcom.UUCP (Handmade Software) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan14.204134.20850@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, george@hobbes.ncsu.edu (George Browning) writes:

> Could someone please give me the phone number and address
> of C-Cube Microsytems?  Any estimates on the price of their JPEG chip?

C-Cube Microsystems
399-A West Trimble Road
San Jose, CA  95131

408/944-6300
408/944-6314 fax

A good person to speak with is Clint Chao.

The last price quote I got from C-Cube for small quantities was $550.

marcos

--
Handmade Software, Inc.
15951 Los Gatos Blvd, Suite 7