[net.cooks] experiences with fish in Hawaii

jeff@rtech.ARPA (Jeff Lichtman) (03/14/85)

I recently took a trip to Hawaii.  Since I went alone, I stayed in hotel rooms
with kitchenettes (eating alone in a restaurant depresses me).  The following
are my experiences with fish in Hawaii.

I made a resolution to eat a different kind of fish for dinner every night.  It
turned out to be very easy.  There are a *lot* of varieties of fish in Hawaii.
Some of the types I had were:

		Mahi Mahi
		Marlin
		Ono (also known as wahoo)
		Ahi (Yellowtail tuna)
		Grey Snapper
		Nabeta
		Pananni Palani
		Jackfish
		Amberjack

I didn't have a broiler either of my hotel rooms, so I baked some of the fish
and fried the rest of it.  The fish was very fresh, so I seasoned it with
nothing but salt.

If you can find ono anywhere, get it!  It is one of the best-tasting fishes I
have eaten.  "Ono" is the Hawaiian word for "delicious".  It has a fine texture
without being either too firm or too soft.  On the mainland it might be sold
as "wahoo".

The mahi mahi in Hawaii is better than what I have had in the San Francisco
bay area.  I had come to think of this fish as somewhat dry.  What I had in
Hawaii was moist and flavorful.

Marlin is a very dull fish.  It doesn't have much flavor, and I found the
texture uninteresting.

I decided when I was in Hawaii that tuna is ruined by cooking.  Yellowtail
is moist and tasty raw; cooked, it is dry and bland.

Grey snapper was something of a surprise.  I was expecting a variation of red
snapper; grey snapper has a finer texture, isn't as firm, and has a different
flavor from red snapper.  I recommend this one.

Nabeta is a tropical fish.  I think the name is Hawaiian, and I don't know the
English translation.  The texture of this fish is unlike that of any other I've
had.  It's neither firm nor soft; it's sort of a combination between fluffy and
chewy.  The flavor is very good.  The woman who sold it to me said that the
fish doesn't have to be scaled: the scales "melt" when you fry it.  I was
chicken and scaled the fish anyway.  This one is tied with grey snapper for
the second best fish I had while I was there.

I found pannini palani to be a little strange.  Before cooking, the fish had an
"off" odor (sort of a bile smell) that went away with cooking.  It is very
flaky, and the flavor is undistiguished.

Neither jackfish nor amberjack impressed me very much.  They are both firm,
and have good but not great flavor.

When I was on Kauai, I got most of my fish from J&R seafood in Lihue.  They
sell poke (pronounced pokey), which is a sort of Hawaiian sashimi.  It is fish
or seafood (usually raw) chopped and mixed with green onions and seasonings.
One of the seasonings they use is kukui nut, which is a native Hawaiian nut,
sometimes called "candlenut" because it's 40% oil content makes it burn like
a candle when it is set on fire.  I had ahi poke (made with raw yellowtail)
and tako poke (made with cooked octopus).  Both were delicious.

On the big island I recommend the Suisun fish market in Hilo.  This market
is next to the place where they auction of the day's catch in the morning.
I watched the auction; it's very interesting, and there were many types of fish
I'd never seen before.  Each day, the Suisun market buys some of the fish at
the auction and puts it on sale.  The prices there are very good (some fish
sells for less than $1.00/lb.), and it is extremely fresh.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (03/20/85)

In article <239@rtech.ARPA> jeff@rtech.ARPA (Jeff Lichtman) writes:

>The mahi mahi in Hawaii is better than what I have had in the San Francisco
>bay area.  I had come to think of this fish as somewhat dry.  What I had in
>Hawaii was moist and flavorful.

mahi mahi is a delicate fish, and native to the warmer waters. Anything you
might find in the mainland has to be frozen or iced and flown from hawaii,
and it doesn't travel that well. sigh. One of the better fishes in the
world (trivia-- for interesting references to mahi mahi (also known as the
dolphin, as opposed to a porpoise) read Kon Tiki...).

>Marlin is a very dull fish.  It doesn't have much flavor, and I found the
>texture uninteresting.

overblown reputation because macho types like to spend hours watching a
professional boatsman keep it on your hook for you...

>I decided when I was in Hawaii that tuna is ruined by cooking.  Yellowtail
>is moist and tasty raw; cooked, it is dry and bland.

Try poaching in wine. Try tuna in a fish stew. It really needs to be kept
moist, but that doesn't mean you can't cook with it...

one fish I tend to enjoy a lot that isn't well appreciated yet is shark. I
discovered shark a long time ago, back when the mecury scares first hit the
swordfish industry. A lot of fishermen started selling shark as swordfish,
and I find now that I prefer shark. Most of the shark you can get
in the markets (I forget what they catch for it, probably the grey shark)
is BETTER than most swordfish-- firm, flakey, and mild. Barbeque over
mesquite for a real treat, and lightly lemon...

chuq

--
Chuq Von Rospach, National Semiconductor
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Be seeing you!

seb@ahutb.UUCP (s.e.badian) (03/20/85)

REFERENCES:  <239@rtech.ARPA>, <2487@nsc.UUCP>

Re: Chuq on shark
	Unfortunately, shark has become all too well appreciated! The
price of shark these days rivals swordfish which makes it not very
affordable.
	I prefer to seek out inexpensive types of fish. I've found
monkfish to be delicious. It's ugly, but who cares if it's cheap.
I've heard that skate is very good and very inexpensive, but I haven't
managed to locate any yet.
	Alas my favorite types of fish are expensive - trout and
salmon. Oh well, I'll just have to move to Washington State so I
can try to catch my own!

Sharon Badian

jayt@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jay T McCanta) (03/20/85)

> I recently took a trip to Hawaii.  Since I went alone, I stayed in hotel rooms
> with kitchenettes (eating alone in a restaurant depresses me).  The following
> are my experiences with fish in Hawaii.
>
> I made a resolution to eat a different kind of fish for dinner every night.  It
> turned out to be very easy.  There are a *lot* of varieties of fish in Hawaii.
> Some of the types I had were:
>
> 		Mahi Mahi

  Mahi Mahi is NOT a fish.  It is a mammal - dolphin to be precise.  How could
  you eat Flipper.

> 		Marlin
> 		Ono (also known as wahoo)

> The mahi mahi in Hawaii is better than what I have had in the San Francisco
> bay area.  I had come to think of this fish as somewhat dry.  What I had in
> Hawaii was moist and flavorful.

  Sorry about the flame, but it somehow seems wrong to eat dolphins, mind
  if I pass?

I don't need a disclaimer, because no one will claim me.
Jay McCanta
Boeing Aerospace
Kent, Wa.

stanford@ssc-vax.UUCP (Stanford N Payzer) (03/20/85)

{Reline this mind with your massage}
>   Mahi Mahi is NOT a fish.  It is a mammal - dolphin to be precise.  How could
>   you eat Flipper.
Some expert would be better qualified to address this, but it was left
uncorrected in an earlier net discussion. I have seen a fish in a tank
labelled "Mahi-Mahi" in the Honolulu Aquarium. The common English name for
Mahi-Mahi is "Dolphin-fish." The fish in question was less than a foot long
and looked like the deep sea fish which have bulging eyes and a giant toothy
mouth. The common english name is probably responsible for the
misunderstanding that Mahi-Mahi is the same as Dolphin. This may also,
however, cause some restaurants to sell dolphin under a false name so as not
to offend those who would rather not eat mammals.
--
{allegra, cornell,decvax,ihnp4,tektronix,sdcvax,utcsrgv,largo,lento}! ==>
uw-beaver!ssc-vax!stanford

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (03/21/85)

Just to set the record straight for the 10047th time,
Mahi-mahi is NOT a mammel.  The fish is a dolphin.
There are TWO creatures named dolphin.  The one you
eat in Hawaii is a FISH.  The other one is really
a porpise and a mammel.  Porpoises are protected
under federal law and cannot be taken for commercial
or sporting purposes.  The true dolphin, a flat faced
creature, very swift, and a good sporting fish is what
you get in the resturants.  The Feds do not look very
kindly upon folks selling porpises for eating in
public resturants.  The dolphin is good eating while
the porpise is not very tasty.  The dolphin TASTES
like a fish, the porpoise does not.
Come on out to New Jersey this summer and we will
go out and catch some dolphin when they are running.
Then we will grill some up and enjoy.
T. C. Wheeler

halle@hou2b.UUCP (J.HALLE) (03/21/85)

The mahi mahi is the Hawaiian name for the dolphinfish.  This fish
is NOT, repeat NOT, the same animal as the species of whale known
as porpoise or dolphin.  The mahi mahi is indeed a fish.

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (03/22/85)

>   Mahi Mahi is NOT a fish.  It is a mammal - dolphin to be precise.  How could
>   you eat Flipper.
>   Sorry about the flame, but it somehow seems wrong to eat dolphins, mind
>   if I pass?
> Jay McCanta
Don't confuse the fish dolphin with the porpoise.  The fish, mahi mahi, is
a blunt-headed salt-water game fish usually about three feet long.  Due to
its name shared with the mammal, we sometimes did call it "Flipper's friend",
but it is NOT the same.  Look it up in a sports fishing book, such as "The
Angler's Guide" if you are interested.
And no, I wouldn't eat a porpoise either.
Nemo

seb@ahutb.UUCP (s.e.badian) (03/22/85)

REFERENCES:  <239@rtech.ARPA>, <535@ssc-vax.UUCP>

NO, NO, NO!!! Mahi mahi, also known as dolphin, is not a mammal!
It is a fish, a real honest-to-goodness fish. In fact, it has
quite a reputation as a sport fish besides being some of the
best eating around.

If you go out and look in some fishing books under dolphin you
will see a picture of a fish with absolutely no resemblance to
Flipper.

Just because it's called the same thing, doesn't mean it IS the
same thing. Besides, the mammals are usually referred to as porpoises,
not dolphins, even if some of them are named dolphins(like the
bottle-nosed dolphin).

Sharon Badian - amateur naturalist, and fishing enthusiast
ihnp4!hocsp!ahutb!seb

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (03/24/85)

>   Mahi Mahi is NOT a fish.  It is a mammal - dolphin to be precise.  How could
>   you eat Flipper.

Speak not that which you know not.... Mahi-Mahi is another name for the
dolphin, which is a warm water fish. The mammal dolphin is actually a
porpoise, and is a different species entirely. You can find references to
dolphins(mahi-mahi) in Thor Heyerdahl's 'Kon tiki'. You can find references
to porpoises at Sea World. They are NOT the same animal, and most
dictionaries would have kept you from making such a silly mistake if you'de
checked out your comments before you opened your mouth.... *grin*

chuq
--

jeff@rtech.ARPA (Jeff Lichtman) (03/25/85)

> > Some of the types I had were:
> >
> > 		Mahi Mahi
>
>   Mahi Mahi is NOT a fish.  It is a mammal - dolphin to be precise.  How could
>   you eat Flipper.
>
>   Sorry about the flame, but it somehow seems wrong to eat dolphins, mind
>   if I pass?
>
> Jay McCanta

Mahi mahi is dolphinfish, which is a type of fish distinct from the mammal
called "dolphin".  When I was in Hawaii I saw some mahi mahi before they were
dressed out.  They have gills and scales.

Don't worry.  I wouldn't eat Flipper.
--

wong@rtech.ARPA (J. Wong) (03/26/85)

> > Some of the types I had were:
> >
> > 		Mahi Mahi
>
>   Mahi Mahi is NOT a fish.  It is a mammal - dolphin to be precise.  How could
>   you eat Flipper.
>
> > 		Marlin
> > 		Ono (also known as wahoo)
>
>   Sorry about the flame, but it somehow seems wrong to eat dolphins, mind
>   if I pass?
>
> Jay McCanta

There happens to be a fish that is also known of by the name "dolphin".  I thinkthat this is what "mahi mahi" really is, not the mammal.

--
				J. Wong		ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!wong

You start a conversation, you can't even finish it.
You're talking alot, but you're not saying anything.
When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed.
Say something once, why say it again.		- David Byrne

connie@zaphod.UUCP (03/29/85)

> In article <239@rtech.ARPA> jeff@rtech.ARPA (Jeff Lichtman) writes:
> >
> >The mahi mahi in Hawaii is better than what I have had in the San Francisco
> >bay area.  I had come to think of this fish as somewhat dry.  What I had in
> >Hawaii was moist and flavorful.
>
> mahi mahi is a delicate fish, and native to the warmer waters. Anything you
> might find in the mainland has to be frozen or iced and flown from hawaii,
> and it doesn't travel that well. sigh. One of the better fishes in the
> world (trivia-- for interesting references to mahi mahi (also known as the
> dolphin, as opposed to a porpoise) read Kon Tiki...).
>
> --
> Chuq Von Rospach, National Semiconductor
> {cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA
>
> Be seeing you!

Somehow the consumption of the flesh of an animal with the intelligence
level of the dolphin borders on cannibalism in my mind.  Surely the
palate can make a few sacrifices!!

DACS

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (04/02/85)

> > mahi mahi is a delicate fish, and native to the warmer waters. Anything you
> > might find in the mainland has to be frozen or iced and flown from hawaii,
> > and it doesn't travel that well. sigh. One of the better fishes in the
> > world (trivia-- for interesting references to mahi mahi (also known as the
> > dolphin, as opposed to a porpoise) read Kon Tiki...).
> >
> Somehow the consumption of the flesh of an animal with the intelligence
> level of the dolphin borders on cannibalism in my mind.  Surely the
> palate can make a few sacrifices!!

Undoubtedly the dolphin to which you refer is intelligent enough to realize
that the mahi-mahi is a fish (despite the colloquial "dolphin" which it
is sometimes called) and not particularly bright at all.

					Jeff Winslow

yamauchi@fortune.UUCP (Alan Yamauchi) (04/02/85)

In article <219@zaphod.UUCP> version B 2.10.2 9/18/84; site fortune.UUCP version B 2.10.2 9/5/84; site zaphod.UUCP fortune!amdcad!decwrl!decvax!bellcore!sabre!zeta!epsilon!gamma!ulysses!mhuxr!ihnp4!alberta!sask!zaphod!connie connie@zaphod.UUCP writes:

>> mahi mahi is a delicate fish, and native to the warmer waters. Anything you
>> might find in the mainland has to be frozen or iced and flown from hawaii,
>> and it doesn't travel that well. sigh. One of the better fishes in the
>> world (trivia-- for interesting references to mahi mahi (also known as the
>> dolphin, as opposed to a porpoise) read Kon Tiki...).
>>

>Somehow the consumption of the flesh of an animal with the intelligence
>level of the dolphin borders on cannibalism in my mind.  Surely the
>palate can make a few sacrifices!!
>
>DACS

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Okay enough is enough already!!!!  We need a filter for this group which
is capable of throwing out all articles which refer to Mahi-Mahi as a dolphin
of the class mammailia.  This subject has been beaten to death the past
few weeks and over and over again over the life of this newsgroup.  Lets
get on to other subjects and ignore these people who keep insisting
that Mahi-Mahi ( alias dolphinfish ) is of the same class as a porpoise.

      Alan Yamauchi

UUCP:	{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd,hpda,sri-unix,harpo}!fortune!yamauchi
DDD:	(415)594-2436
USPS:	Fortune Systems Corp, 101 Twin Dolphin Drive, Redwood City, CA 94065

thompson@oberon.UUCP (mark thompson) (04/02/85)

> Somehow the consumption of the flesh of an animal with the intelligence
> level of the dolphin borders on cannibalism in my mind.  Surely the
> palate can make a few sacrifices!!
>
> DACS

Oh SIGH! Not again. Please, please, read the message BEFORE you
respond to it. This is 'dolphin (FISH) as ooposed to porpoise
(MAMMAL)'.

-mark

--
[ Insert witty saying here ]		uscvax!oberon!thompson