[comp.graphics] GIF file viewer under Unix

jaapv@accucx.cc.ruu.nl (Jaap Verhage) (01/24/91)

A while ago, in article <994@accucx.cc.ruu.nl> I wrote:
  >The subject line says most of it: I'm looking for a program which
  >can be compiled under Unix 4.2BSD to view GIF files. The program
  >must expect a Tektronix 4010/4014 terminal - that's what Kermit can
  >emulate on my VGA-equipped PC. I do wonder if this is at all
  >feasible over a 2400 bps telephone line from the Unix host (a
  >Convex C210) to me at home, but we'll see about that when the time
  >comes :-) ....

To this, Brad Davis replied:
  >A Tek 4010/4014 is a vector device, GIF is a bitmap.  You would send
  >15 times the amount of data in the GIF file if you were to try to draw
  >it in 4010 mode.  Download the GIF file with kermit and view it
  >locally (unless you have plenty of time and money).
  >--
  >Brad Davis	..!uunet.uu.net!cs.utah.edu!cai.utah.edu!b-davis
  >		b-davis@cs.utah.edu, b-davis@cai.utah.edu
  >One drunk driver can ruin your whole day.

Yuck  ! That's just what I *didn't* want to do. However, I guess
Brad's right. Let me try again: anyone know of a GIF file viewer
under Unix 4.2BSD that will display it's stuff on a VGA screen?
Thanks for your time.
--
Regards, Jaap.

Jaap Verhage, Academic Computer Centre, State University at Utrecht, Holland.
jaapv@cc.ruu.nl      +<-*|*->+      I claim *every*thing and speak for myself