[comp.graphics] HPGL rasterizer

mcmullen@macado.cica.indiana.edu (Rick McMullen) (01/23/91)

Anyone out there in netland know where I might find a program that
converts HPGL
files to a bitmap format (X11 bitmap, window dump, TIFF, GIF, Sun
raster, etc., etc.)?

The basic problem is to go from Autocad drawing files to a bit mapped image.

Rick McMullen
Center for Innovative Computer Applications
Indiana University

stehle@erg.sri.com (Roy Stehle) (01/23/91)

In article <9955@cica.cica.indiana.edu> mcmullen@macado.cica.indiana.edu (Rick McMullen) writes:
>Anyone out there in netland know where I might find a program that
>converts HPGL files to a bitmap format

DeskPlotter, from Insight Development Corp, prints HPGL files on an HP
DeskJet printer.  It might be possible to intercept the LPT1: stream
and redirect it to a file.  The format may not be what you wish.

HiJaak, from Inset Systems, offers HPGL conversion to Laserjet PCL format.
Many other input formats (e.g., TIFF, IFF, PCX) are accepted.

Roy Stehle
stehle@erg.sri.com

daniel@island.COM (Daniel Smith) (01/24/91)

In <9955@cica.cica.indiana.edu> mcmullen@macado.cica.indiana.edu (Rick McMullen) writes:

> Anyone out there in netland know where I might find a program that
> converts HPGL
> files to a bitmap format (X11 bitmap, window dump, TIFF, GIF, Sun
> raster, etc., etc.)?

> The basic problem is to go from Autocad drawing files to a bit mapped image.

	I can do it, but I'll have to attempt to not sound like an ad...

	I wrote the HPGL filter that comes with IslandDraw.  It handles
a subset of HPGL, certainly the AutoCad produced files that I ran through
it.  IslandDraw will output many formats, so there's one way.

	As long as I am writing, if anyone out there is using this
filter and comes across files that they cannot convert, contact
tech support at Island and arrange to send a tape or tarmail
of the file in question.  We want to get a wide range of examples
so that we can continue to improve the filter.

				Daniel
--
daniel@island.com       Daniel Smith, Island Graphics, (415) 491 0765 x 250(w)
daniel@world.std.com      4000 CivicCenterDrive SanRafael MarinCounty CA 94903

kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) (01/25/91)

mcmullen@macado.cica.indiana.edu (Rick McMullen) writes:

>Anyone out there in netland know where I might find a program that
>converts HPGL
>files to a bitmap format (X11 bitmap, window dump, TIFF, GIF, Sun
>raster, etc., etc.)?

>The basic problem is to go from Autocad drawing files to a bit mapped image.

In the PC world, Hijaak does this. I know of another program that does
this directly from DXF to bitmap but can't remember it right now.  A
rather longer way to do it is to get a conversion program that takes
DXF files and translates them into CADKEY CADL files which can then be
output in a variety of bitmap formats.

Kevin
--
Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc}!atha!kevinc

n8443916@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (John Gossman) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan22.222336.5463@erg.sri.com> stehle@erg.sri.com (Roy Stehle) writes:
>In article <9955@cica.cica.indiana.edu> mcmullen@macado.cica.indiana.edu (Rick McMullen) writes:
>>Anyone out there in netland know where I might find a program that

	SoftSource has a series of programs called DRAWING Librarian for
viewing and translating AutoCAD DWG and DXF files and HPGL.  They also
have a windows version that will let you cut and paste DWG files into
Windows 3.0 paint programs etc.  Then they can be saved to bitmap format.

-JG

PS They can be reached at 1-800-626-0999

PPS  Sorry about the bandwidth, but I couldn't get mail through directly