[comp.graphics] War Images

sahayman@porbeagle.cs.indiana.edu (Steve Hayman) (01/19/91)

    >For a day or two, 24-bit RGB images from the Iraq war (in BRL-CAD .pix
    >format) can be obtained from host FTP.BRL.MIL via anonymous FTP, in
    >directory "war".  The resolution is 720*486 pixels.

I have posted a quick hack to 'alt.sources' that converts these images to
'ppm' format;  you can then use tools like 'xv' to view the images.

Mike - thanks for making these images available!

Steve Hayman

millernw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Neal Miller,,,) (01/19/91)

From article <1991Jan18.112304.13530@news.cs.indiana.edu>, by Steve Hayman <sahayman@porbeagle.cs.indiana.edu>:
>     >For a day or two, 24-bit RGB images from the Iraq war (in BRL-CAD .pix
>     >format) can be obtained from host FTP.BRL.MIL via anonymous FTP, in
>     >directory "war".  The resolution is 720*486 pixels.
>
> I have posted a quick hack to 'alt.sources' that converts these images to
> 'ppm' format;  you can then use tools like 'xv' to view the images.
>
> Mike - thanks for making these images available!

	Any plans to convert them into GIF format?

 Neal Miller          |  "Why not go mad?"     |  millernw@clutx.clarkson.edu
 Clarkson University  |        - Ford Prefect  |  millernw@clutx.bitnet

stparker@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Steve Parker) (01/19/91)

>For a day or two, 24-bit RGB images from the Iraq war (in BRL-CAD .pix
>format) can be obtained from host FTP.BRL.MIL via anonymous FTP, in
>directory "war".  The resolution is 720*486 pixels.

Where did the images go? They were there as of 9:30CST, but gone at 11:00CST.
(They look like they are there, but they are just symbolic links to missing
files.)

		Steve Parker
		sgp@phyast.nhn.uoknor.edu

ka2czu@cbnewsh.att.com (robert.switzer) (01/19/91)

From article <1991Jan18.165822.26090@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu>, by millernw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Neal Miller,,,):
> From article <1991Jan18.112304.13530@news.cs.indiana.edu>, by Steve Hayman <sahayman@porbeagle.cs.indiana.edu>:
>>     >For a day or two, 24-bit RGB images from the Iraq war (in BRL-CAD .pix
Are there any plans
to repost these?  I just tried to get one and they are no longer
on the system?

--
Robert Switzer                   | Amatuer Radio Operator KA2CZU
(201)576-3532                    |

hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) (01/19/91)

In article <14894@smoke.brl.mil> mike@brl.mil writes:
>For a day or two, 24-bit RGB images from the Iraq war (in BRL-CAD .pix
>format) can be obtained from host FTP.BRL.MIL via anonymous FTP, in
>directory "war".  The resolution is 720*486 pixels.

I connected to this site, and ls shows the files there (linked to /usr/tmp/war)
but when I try to transfer, ftp responds that the file is not found. What
am I doing wrong?

hh
--
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/DB         "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2

wood@acf4.NYU.EDU (David Wood) (01/19/91)

	Where did those images go?  All I see in the war directory
	is apparently empty links to /usr/tmp/war/*.

 David Wood					wood@david.ultra.nyu.edu
 New York University				...!uunet!theway!lab!wood
 212-998-3363
   __o
  -\<,		"Brain. Brain. What is brain?"
  O' O			Kara the Eymorg, "Spock's Brain", Stardate 5432.3

wood@acf4.NYU.EDU (David Wood) (01/19/91)

From wood@acf4.NYU.EDU  Fri Jan 18 14:34:12 1991
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 91 14:33:49 -0500
From: wood@acf4.NYU.EDU (David Wood)
To: rnews@cmcl2.NYU.EDU

From: wood@acf4.NYU.EDU (David Wood)
Date: 18 Jan 91 14:33 EST
Subject: Re: War Images
Newsgroups: comp.graphics

jmasters@fxrs.intel.com (Justin Masters) (01/19/91)

In article <19903@hydra.gatech.EDU> hh2@prism.gatech.EDU (HAAS) writes:
|In article <14894@smoke.brl.mil> mike@brl.mil writes:
|>For a day or two, 24-bit RGB images from the Iraq war (in BRL-CAD .pix
|>format) can be obtained from host FTP.BRL.MIL via anonymous FTP, in
|>directory "war".  The resolution is 720*486 pixels.
|
|I connected to this site, and ls shows the files there (linked to /usr/tmp/war)
|but when I try to transfer, ftp responds that the file is not found. What
|am I doing wrong?

Okay, so we all know now that they're gone.  Did anybody snatch them before
they got snatched?  If so, maybe they can be uploaded to another archive site.

|hh
|--
|Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/DB         "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
|Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
|uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2
|Internet: hh2@prism.gatech.edu   hhaas@{gtri01|rmadsun}.gatech.edu

--
"You know those oxygen masks on planes?        |
 I don't think there's really any oxygen.      |

garyc@hobbes.wv.tek.com (Gary Combs) (01/19/91)

In article <1991Jan18.165822.26090@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu>, millernw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Neal Miller,,,) writes:
|> From: millernw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Neal Miller,,,)
|> Subject: Re: War Images
|> Date: 18 Jan 91 16:58:22 GMT
|>
|> From article <1991Jan18.112304.13530@news.cs.indiana.edu>, by Steve Hayman <sahayman@porbeagle.cs.indiana.edu>:
|> >     >For a day or two, 24-bit RGB images from the Iraq war (in BRL-CAD .pix
|> >     >format) can be obtained from host FTP.BRL.MIL via anonymous FTP, in
|> >     >directory "war".  The resolution is 720*486 pixels.
|> >
|> > I have posted a quick hack to 'alt.sources' that converts these images to
|> > 'ppm' format;  you can then use tools like 'xv' to view the images.
|> >
|> > Mike - thanks for making these images available!
|>
|> 	Any plans to convert them into GIF format?
|>

|> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|>  Neal Miller          |  "Why not go mad?"     |  millernw@clutx.clarkson.edu
|>  Clarkson University  |        - Ford Prefect  |  millernw@clutx.bitnet
|> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about zcat file.Z | pixtoppm | ppmtogif > file.gif !

Gary Combs
Tektronix, Inc
NWD Technical Marketing Support
(503)685-2072
uunet!tektronix!shamu.WV.TEK!garyc

rthomson@mesa.dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) (01/19/91)

I have converted the BRL images into 256-color GIF files and placed
them on uunet:/tmp/war/*.gif; the original BRL images also are there.

The titles and descriptions are:

aaa2.gif
    Anti Aircraft Artillery from the night-vision camera used by a reporter
    (from ITN?) on the initial raid on Baghdad.
cockpit-close.gif
    Close-up shot of a pilot in the cockpit of a fighter (an F-15E?)
f15-liftoff.gif
    Side view of an F15 taking off of a runway (perhaps Dhahran)
tomahawk2.gif
    View of a tomahawk cruise missile being launched.
wisconsin-deck2.gif
    View of the deck of the Wisconsin.

[For a.d-s readers, there were some 24-bit images placed on BRL for
anonymous FTP; the announcement was made in comp.graphics]

							-- Rich
--
  ``Read my MIPS -- no new VAXes!!'' -- George Bush after sniffing freon
	    Disclaimer: I speak for myself, except as noted.

rthomson@mesa.dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) (01/19/91)

In article <1991Jan19.003138.21875@dsd.es.com>
	rthomson@dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) writes:
>I have converted the BRL images into 256-color GIF files and placed
>them on uunet:/tmp/war/*.gif; the original BRL images also are there.

Sorry I wasn't more clear in the above paragraph.  The site is known
by the name ``uunet.uu.net'' and its IP address is 192.48.96.2.  Once
there, look in /tmp/war for both the original BRL images and the GIF
versions.

							-- Rich
--

mike@BRL.MIL (Michael John Muuss) (01/19/91)

In article <14894@smoke.brl.mil>, I wrote:
|> For a day or two, 24-bit RGB images from the Iraq war (in BRL-CAD .pix
|> format) can be obtained from host FTP.BRL.MIL via anonymous FTP, in
|> directory "war".  The resolution is 720*486 pixels.

I regret that of the 450+ anonymous FTP connections on Friday, most of you
were unable to obtain the images.  The machine VGR, a VAX-11/780 was
overwhelmed, and we ran out of disk space too.

The BRL anonymous FTP archive has moved to a new machine, with more disk
space and 120 times the CPU power. Access should no longer present a
difficulty.

As always, the FTP archive is accessed as host FTP.BRL.MIL. If your name
server has not yet acquired the new address, you can access it by the
numbers as 128.63.16.158.  We reserve the right to transfer the archive
from machine to machine, but the pseudo-host named "FTP.BRL.MIL" will
always point to the correct machine.

Here is the new war/README file:

			WAR IN THE GULF IMAGES

These compressed images are in BRL-CAD .pix file format. They are
24-bits/pixel, 720 by 486 pixels.

They were acquired from video with a Faroudja NTSC->RGB decoder, fed
into an Abekas A20, sent as D-1 digital video to an Abekas A60 digital
video disk, and then stored on disk via TCP/IP ethernet transfer from
the Abekas.

For sites with the BRL-CAD Package, these images can be displayed with
the command:
	zcat file.Z | pix-fb -w720 -n486

For other formats:

>> From: Steve Hayman <sahayman@porbeagle.cs.indiana.edu>
>> I've written a quick hack to convert these images to PPM format so that
>> popular tools like 'xv' can display them.  I've posted this hack to
>> alt.sources.

>> From: Gary Combs <garyc@hobbes.wv.tek.com>
>> How about zcat file.Z | pixtoppm | ppmtogif > file.gif

For sites that wish to develop custom software to display these images,
pixels run left-to-right, from the bottom of the screen to the top.
More details on the image file format can be found in the file
"../brl-cad/pix.5".

It is my intention to provide GIF format versions of these images
here in a few days.

If you plan to get only one image, get the "scud+launcher.Z" file.

	Best,
	 Mike @ BRL.MIL

---------- Partial index of images ----------

aaa[1-4]
	Anti-Aircraft Aritllery (ABC footage through night camera)
	durring first wave attack on western side of Baghdad.

cockpit-close
	Close-up shot of a pilot in the cockpit of a fighter

cockpit
	Backlit side view of night fighter takeoff

f15-liftoff[12]
	Side view of an F15 taking off at night

scud+launcher
	EXCELLENT side view of SCUD missile on mobile launcher

soldiers1
	Two soldiers backlit against the sky

tomahawk?
	Tomahawk (cruise missile) launches
tomahawk1
	cruise missile launching from deck of the Wisconsin
tomahawk2
	cruise missile launching in front of Wisconsin bridge
tomahawk3
	cruise missile night launch, belching flame
tomahawk4
	cruise missile night launch, more flames

tornado1
	Image of British "Tornado" jet flying in Eastern Suadi Arabia
tornado2
	Tornado on ground, closeup of left side & weapons
tornado3
	Tornado on runway, lifting off
tornado4
	Tornado in flight, banking to left

wisconsin-deck1
 	Sunset view off the port bow of the Wisconsin, the first ship
	to launch the cruise missiles.

wisconsin-deck2
	View of forward gun battery of the Wisconsin

mmm@nadia.stgt.sub.org (Martin Schauer) (01/21/91)

rthomson@mesa.dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) writes:

>aaa2.gif
>    Anti Aircraft Artillery from the night-vision camera used by a reporter
>    (from ITN?) on the initial raid on Baghdad.
>cockpit-close.gif
>    Close-up shot of a pilot in the cockpit of a fighter (an F-15E?)
>f15-liftoff.gif
>    Side view of an F15 taking off of a runway (perhaps Dhahran)
>tomahawk2.gif
>    View of a tomahawk cruise missile being launched.
>wisconsin-deck2.gif
>    View of the deck of the Wisconsin.

  To all "war images" people:

  why don't you post pictuers like these:

  innocent.gif:
    iraq family in their house after US-attack (perhaps cruise missile?)

  bagdad.gif:
    not much to see (anymore)

NO BLOOD FOR OIL  --  STOPP THE WAR  --  NO BLOOD FOR OIL -- STOPP THE

                       **********************
                       mmm@nadia.stgt.sub.org
                       **********************

julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) (01/22/91)

In article <HWENHXG@nadia.stgt.sub.org> mmm@nadia.stgt.sub.org (Martin Schauer) writes:
"   To all "war images" people:
"
"   why don't you post pictuers like these:
"
"   innocent.gif:
"     iraq family in their house after US-attack (perhaps cruise missile?)
"
"   bagdad.gif:
"     not much to see (anymore)

And while you're at it, don't forget:

	bullies.gif
		Picture of Kuwaiti babies being removed from their incubators
		by Iraqi soldiers and left to die on the floor.

	iou.gif
		Picture of Iraq's debt to Kuwait, showing how blitzkrieg and
		takeover was cheaper than paying it back.

C'mon, keep this political discussion out of comp.graphics. There
are appropriate places elsewhere.
--

"Physicists are mathematicians in a hurry"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez     julian@riacs.edu

frerichs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David J Frerichs) (01/22/91)

It is really to bad that people have to be so simple minded about the war.
I suppose you think it is ok for a dictator to invade a country, annex it,
steal it's wealth and brutalize its people... no matter how corrupt that
invaded nation is, it has a right to exist, especially if it is a part of
the United Nations.  The UN gave Iraq plenty of time to withdraw... they
chose to face war instead of withdrawing.

What good are international laws if they are not enforced?  We must stop
agression at the root.  If one agression is allowed, many more will follow.
Ignoring reality is not the road to peace.  Look at the example of pre WWII
Europe.  It wasn't our problem then either, and we didn't get involved...
and the agressors kept on taking more and more until the world finally woke
up and took action.  If we would have ignored him now... the question would
have been where would he strike next?

If you are complaining about civilian deaths in Bagdad, what about Iraqi
attacks on innocent, uninvolved civilian populations in Israel and
terrorist targets around the world?  What about the parading of POWs on
Television?  "Give peace a chance."... between western minds, this makes
sense, but tell Sadam Hussein and see what type of answer you get.
Tell that to ANY fundamentalist moslem Arab in the Middle East and see
what they say.  They are barbarians with no concept of peace or
internatinal law.  Their view is one filled with ideas like dying in a
holy war (jihad) against the great satanic alliance in a suicide attack
is a sure way to paradise.  You cannot reason with people like that.

Maybe we should post GIFs of:

raped.kuwaiti.woman.GIF

brutalized.POW.GIF

tortured.kuwaiti.GIF

wounded.israeli.GIF

THINK ABOUT THE REALITIES OF THE SITUATION... THINK BEYOND IDEALISTIC
RHETORIC... SEE WHAT IS GOING ON.

David Frerichs

andreess@mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan22.083331.21587@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> frerichs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David J Frerichs) writes:
>It is really to bad that people have to be so simple minded about the war.
>I suppose you think it is ok for a dictator to invade a country, annex it,
>steal it's wealth and brutalize its people... no matter how corrupt that
>invaded nation is, it has a right to exist, especially if it is a part of
>the United Nations.  The UN gave Iraq plenty of time to withdraw... they
>chose to face war instead of withdrawing.
> [...]

out Out OUT _OUT_! of comp.graphics.  Go peddle this tripe elsewhere,
like alt.desert-shield or talk.politics or alt.flame or /dev/null.

Marc

--
Marc Andreessen____________University of Illinois Materials Research Laboratory
Internet: andreessen@uimrl7.mrl.uiuc.edu_____________Bitnet: andreessen@uiucmrl

jeb33880@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jeff Beckham) (01/23/91)

In article <HWENHXG@nadia.stgt.sub.org> mmm@nadia.stgt.sub.org (Martin Schauer) writes:
>rthomson@mesa.dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) writes:
>
>>aaa2.gif
>>    Anti Aircraft Artillery from the night-vision camera used by a reporter
>>    (from ITN?) on the initial raid on Baghdad.
>>cockpit-close.gif
>>    Close-up shot of a pilot in the cockpit of a fighter (an F-15E?)
>>f15-liftoff.gif
>>    Side view of an F15 taking off of a runway (perhaps Dhahran)
>>tomahawk2.gif
>>    View of a tomahawk cruise missile being launched.
>>wisconsin-deck2.gif
>>    View of the deck of the Wisconsin.
>
>  To all "war images" people:
>
>  why don't you post pictuers like these:
>
>  innocent.gif:
>    iraq family in their house after US-attack (perhaps cruise missile?)
>  bagdad.gif:
>    not much to see (anymore)

>NO BLOOD FOR OIL  --  STOPP THE WAR  --  NO BLOOD FOR OIL -- STOPP THE
>                       mmm@nadia.stgt.sub.org

Let's not bring our politcal views, however warped they may be, into this
newsgroup.  Let's leave that for the ones that that's made for like
hot.talk.iraq or whatever it is.

						   Jeff Beckham

PS- What "iraq family in their house after US-attack"?  Where did you see this?
    Respond privately to jeb33880@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::  Jeff Beckham                                ::         /  ______  ____   ::

mike@BRL.MIL (Michael John Muuss <mike>) (01/23/91)

In addition to the .pix versions in directory "war", there are now .GIF
versions in the directory "war-gif". These images are GIF versions of
the .pix format files located in ../war. The conversion was provided by
Bob Brown, to whom I am most grateful.
>> From: Bob Brown <rlb%lavalite.asd.sgi.com@sgi.com>

In some cases, the GIF images have quite a bit more visible noise
than the originals (which certainly were not flawless to start with).
This effect is undoubtably due to the color quantization necessary to
fit the 256-color limitation of the "traditional" GIF format.

Also, note that additional images will be added to the archive as
time is available.  Enjoy!

	Best,
	 -Mike

	  Ballistic Research Laboratory
	  APG, MD  21005-5066

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (daniel lance herrick) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan22.083331.21587@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, frerichs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David J Frerichs) writes:
> It is really to bad that people have to be so simple minded about the war.
> I suppose you think it is ok for a dictator to invade a country, annex it,
> steal it's wealth and brutalize its people... no matter how corrupt that
> invaded nation is, it has a right to exist, especially if it is a part of
> the United Nations.  The UN gave Iraq plenty of time to withdraw... they
> chose to face war instead of withdrawing.

I agree with your post, David.  However, as I watch the thin reporting
of events in the Baltic Republics, I get the impression that Saddam is
a target of convenience.  All of your rhetoric, and all of our Commander
in Chief's rhetoric, applies equally to recent behavior of Nobel Laureate
Gorbachev.

Sorry about the violation of the news group charter, but these things
trouble me.

dan herrick
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com