[comp.graphics] Info wanted on using RGB images in PD renderers

axolotl@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au (Iain D. Sinclair) (01/21/91)

I've been playing with a couple of public domain raytracers lately,
and I've been fairly impressed with some of them. What I don't seem
to be able to do is specify an RGB image (file) as a texture or
surface.

Has anyone modified rayshade, or do any other PD raytracers exist,
so that RGB images can be easily incorporated into the raytrace?

Any information at *all* is appreciated (I realise that I'll have to
majorly hack the source unless someone else has done it). (Unfortunately
email to me is crippled at the moment, so if you could post your reply,
that'd be fine.)
--
Iain Dick // axolotl@ultima.    //"After 15 minutes, I was in love. After half
Sinclair // socs.uts.edu.au    // an hour, I completely  gave up  the idea  of

sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz (Sleeping Beagle) (01/22/91)

axolotl@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au (Iain D. Sinclair) writes:

> I've been playing with a couple of public domain raytracers lately,
> and I've been fairly impressed with some of them. What I don't seem
> to be able to do is specify an RGB image (file) as a texture or
> surface.
>
> Has anyone modified rayshade, or do any other PD raytracers exist,
> so that RGB images can be easily incorporated into the raytrace?

I think DKB Tracer has this ability. So I have been asured by its
documentation anyway!

Just to make sure that this is not just another of many posts on
the same subject...

Does anyone want to swap ray-tracing source files? Particularly QRT
files as well as DKB. Last time I asked this, I sent some files out to
people who wanted them, but this time I wouldn't mind getting some back
as well... :-)
--
**      Official Signature for Sleeping Beagle (aka Thomas Farmer)!
** sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz   || Disclaimers are for sick societies

dbuck@ccs.carleton.ca (Dave Buck) (01/26/91)

In article <uwH7V1w163w@kennels.actrix.gen.nz> sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz (Sleeping Beagle) writes:
>axolotl@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au (Iain D. Sinclair) writes:
>

>> I've been playing with a couple of public domain raytracers lately,
>> and I've been fairly impressed with some of them. What I don't seem
>> to be able to do is specify an RGB image (file) as a texture or
>> surface.
>>
>> Has anyone modified rayshade, or do any other PD raytracers exist,
>> so that RGB images can be easily incorporated into the raytrace?
>
>I think DKB Tracer has this ability. So I have been asured by its
>documentation anyway!

DKB can map images onto objects but there are two restrictions.  First,
the images are mapped by projecting them onto the objects.  This isn't
the best way to do this, but it was the easiest to implement.  It means,
however, that the texture on the sides of the object can look bizarre and
the texture on the back is the mirror image of the texture on the front.
The second restriction is that the images (obviously) are a fixed size, so
unless you are very careful, you will get anomolies when the images don't
line up at the edges.

>Just to make sure that this is not just another of many posts on
>the same subject...
>
>Does anyone want to swap ray-tracing source files? Particularly QRT
>files as well as DKB. Last time I asked this, I sent some files out to
>people who wanted them, but this time I wouldn't mind getting some back
>as well... :-)

I'm interested in starting a data file collection for DKBTrace images.
You may send the files to me.  Also, if there is any interest, I could
organize and maintain a mailing list for DKBTrace users.

>--
>**      Official Signature for Sleeping Beagle (aka Thomas Farmer)!
>** sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz   || Disclaimers are for sick societies
>** Thomas.Farmer@bbs.actrix.gen.nz ||       with too many
lawyers.

David Buck
dbuck@ccs.carleton.ca

| David Buck                    | My employer is not responsible for|
| dbuck@ccs.carleton.ca         | my opinions.  I'm not even sure   |
|                               | I am.                             |